Auto updates?

Guest kaz

My question is simple...I think!

I am going to be travelling in SE Asia for the next few months, and was looking into some sort of tracking device to automatically update where I am in the world for my family who may not know where I am for weeks at a time without access to a computer.

A possible solution may be the travel bug...but will it let them know where I am without me having to update?

Guest Markwell

nd incorporates it into the travels of the bug, inlcuding mapping, etc.

You could use a Travel Bug to log your travels, but currently you would have to log yourself through the internet as being in the nearest cache to your location. In SE Asia, that might be hundreds of miles away?

If you've got that kind of internet connectivity, I'd suggest taking a laptop and upload a webpage to track your movements. You'd get more accuracy that having to rely on existing caches.

Another option would be to place low maintenance caches (or virtual caches) on very (read extremely) interesting virtual caches along the way. That way, one could track your path by following the virtual caches - and others could revisit your very cool locations on other dates.

Just a thought.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 03 February 2002).]

Kaz,

Youd be surprised where you might find computers and internet. When I was in Namche Bazzar, half way up the valley to Mt. Everest, we were in a shop looking at climbing gear, one of my friends picked up something, and commented, "I could get this for 20bucks back home." The shop keeper jumps up and says "OH no!, (click,click,click)REI 29.95, see?" Even up there, 2 1/5 weeks walk from the nearest dirt road, internet connection. So, where ever you go, you may find access.

Guest SNIFTER

Kaz did you know that there is a travel bug in Vietnam. Well actually he is a hitchhiker from Australia and his name is GEOrge. He was abducted from my husband at a geocachers picnic and sent to a bar in vietnam and the owner of the bear 'embi' would love to know if he is ok. Maybe you can get him and get him moving.

If you can do this then we will all know if you are ok.

Guest glenn95630

... If you want your travel bugs to autoupdate, quit wrapping them in aluminum foil. I would think with all those cameras you have out there you would have figured that out by now.