Delorme Earthmate PN30

Up until now, I have been very happy with my Delorme Earthmate Pn30. I came to Atlanta to do some Geocaching with my brother and discovvered that it simply will not power up. I have changed batteries, hooked it up to the computer, pulled the memory card in and out. Nothing seems to help. I did not drop or jar it since the last time it worked. Any suggestions?

With the PN-40 one can usually recover from this condition by pulling the batteries and letting it sit overnight. The quicker way to get the same effect is to pull the batteries and hold down the Power button for a minute or two (shorter time is usually sufficient, longer time might be needed if the first attempt fails). Then replace the batteries and power up.

Apparently these procedures drain a capacitor that needs to be discharged before the device can power up again.

More information here: http://www.gps-wiki.com/wiki/Pn40:Power_FAQ

Up until now, I have been very happy with my Delorme Earthmate Pn30. I came to Atlanta to do some Geocaching with my brother and discovvered that it simply will not power up. I have changed batteries, hooked it up to the computer, pulled the memory card in and out. Nothing seems to help. I did not drop or jar it since the last time it worked. Any suggestions?

I've got bad news and good news for you. The bad news is that after you try all the tricks (shutting off power, holding down various buttons) it may still not work. The even badder news is the only way to fix it is to send it back to DeLorme. The good news is, when you sent it they are pretty fast and they do it for free.

I have a PN-40 and just recently had to send mine back for the exact same thing that your is doing.. The notation on the packing list said that they had "replaced back plastics". Whatever they did, it works again.

Cacheola Crew Mom

Thanks so much to both of you for your posts. Fortunately, it was solved by draining the capacitor. The folks at DeLorme suggested that I hold the page, start and menu buttons down for 90 seconds or leave the batteries out for six hours. The former did the trick. I am so glad that I did not have to send it in to them. Again, I appreciate your taking the time out to help!