Basecamp problems

I have the Oregon 450 and GB discoverer 50K on a SD card and want to plan a mountain biking trip in the Purbecks. I have downloaded Basecamp and Mapsource from the Garmin website, but I not having much luck at displaying the map properly. After reading about Mapsource it seems that the program will not import the map installed on the SD card, therefore I tried Basecamp instead. Basecamp allows me to select the GB discoverer map, but the map isn't displayed like a OS map like it is on the unit. All Basecamp shows is the roads etc. I need to be able to see tracks, forests etc. I have tried altering the zoom level, changing the 2d/3d display but this makes no difference. The program is running on a high spec laptop running win 7, which might be the problem. I haven't tried it on the other computer yet running xp pro.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Simon

Edited by the_pedley_family

I have the Oregon 450 and GB discoverer 50K on a SD card and want to plan a mountain biking trip in the Purbecks. I have downloaded Basecamp and Mapsource from the Garmin website, but I not having much luck at displaying the map properly. After reading about Mapsource it seems that the program will not import the map installed on the SD card, therefore I tried Basecamp instead. Basecamp allows me to select the GB discoverer map, but the map isn't displayed like a OS map like it is on the unit. All Basecamp shows is the roads etc. I need to be able to see tracks, forests etc. I have tried altering the zoom level, changing the 2d/3d display but this makes no difference. The program is running on a high spec laptop running win 7, which might be the problem. I haven't tried it on the other computer yet running xp pro.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Simon

The Garmin Discoverer maps on SD/MicroSD are NOT usable in either MapSource or BaseCamp.

The other options you have are: Garmin TOPO GB (extra cost), OSM UK Maps (FREE) or another PC mapping program such as Quo or MemoryMap (both cost money, but with Quo you can buy 6 map tiles at a time for less than 6 quid and the main program is free).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I agree with Talkytoaster. I have an Oregon 400t with built-in Topo Europe mapping and an added OSGB Discover map. I use Mapsource rather than Basecamp, but it can only use the Garmin Topo map. (The Topo Europe map has less details in the UK than the Topo GB map I had with my Etrex and annoyingly doesn't show as many tracks or any canal towpaths. But it gives me adequate mapping when caching in Europe.)

Chris

Thanks for the replies, however according to the software updates, it's able to do the following: -

Changes made from version 2.0.9 to 3.0.1:

Added the ability to use BaseCamp with the pre-installed maps on a connected device or pre-programmed SD card.

Changes made from version 3.0.4 to 3.0.5:

Change to read maps on SD cards written to the \Map subfolder

Therefore does this mean that it will only read topo maps and not OS? Even though I can still select GB discoverer in the map product menu.

Thanks Simon

Thanks for the replies, however according to the software updates, it's able to do the following: -

Added the ability to use BaseCamp with the pre-installed maps on a connected device or pre-programmed SD card.

Therefore does this mean that it will only read topo maps and not OS? Even though I can still select GB discoverer in the map product menu.

Thanks Simon

I have BaseCamp 3.0.5 installed, connected my Garmin Oregon 200 with Discoverer 1:50K (Southern England & Wales). Accessed it (the Discoverer mapset on the card) in BaseCamp and it DOES NOT show OS maps.

Just a very basic map; no footpaths, bridleways, etc. is displayed instead. Only roads and POIs are shown with simulated (shaded) topo data. Both in 2D and 3D mode.

You are better off using the FREE OSM maps instead in BaseCamp as they show more details than the Discoverer mapset when accessed in BaseCamp.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Simon

I have BaseCamp 3.0.5 installed, connected my Garmin Oregon 200 with Discoverer 1:50K (Southern England & Wales). Accessed it (the Discoverer mapset on the card) in BaseCamp and it DOES NOT show OS maps.

Just a very basic map; no footpaths, bridleways, etc. is displayed instead. Only roads and POIs are shown with simulated (shaded) topo data. Both in 2D and 3D mode.

You are better off using the FREE OSM maps instead in BaseCamp as they show more details than the Discoverer mapset when accessed in BaseCamp.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I spent last night having a read on the Garmin website, and a software support guy admitted that although sd card maps are supported, basecamp is unable to process the raster layers within GB discoverer. Which makes buying the sd card version of GB discoverer a pointless waste of time and money currently if the user wants to plan routes on a computer. Hopefully Garmin will get there software sorted soon. However in the mean time I found out about a great website called Bikehike.co.uk . It allows the user to plan a route anywhere in the Uk on a 1:50K OS map with visual support from google earth and then download the route to the GPS. As GB discoverer is 1:50K its a perfect solution for anyone who wants to plan a route prior to going mountain biking etc.

Cheers

Simon