nokia 5800 for geocaching

I have a nokia 5800 which has ovi maps built in its okay but a bit difficult to add coordinates and will not accept trimble any ideas as to what I could use I dont really want to buy an Iphone so any help gratefully recieved. I do have a garmin etrex h but its carrying multiple handsets is a pain

thanks for your help folks

AL

I have a nokia 5800 which has ovi maps built in its okay but a bit difficult to add coordinates and will not accept trimble any ideas as to what I could use I dont really want to buy an Iphone so any help gratefully recieved. I do have a garmin etrex h but its carrying multiple handsets is a pain

thanks for your help folks

AL

Depends on how "techy" you are.

I have a 5230 (which is the stripped down version of the 5800). I use Trekbuddy for caching. Alternatively, if you have a dataplan with the phone, how about trying geocaching live? Not perfect, but not bad either.

If you want to add caches to Ovi Maps, you can do it. Simply send a GPX file to the phone (either by email, or moving it across) and then "run" the file. Caches will be added as "landmarks" in the "Location" app on the phone, and (after a delay of 1 minute or so after opening Ovi Maps) they will load as "places" in Ovi Maps.

There are other ways, but it all depends on your technical desire / ability!!

Matt

I used my Nokia 5800 to find a few caches in the beginning. I then had several weeks in a row where I wasn't able to find any caches with it. It just wasn't accurate enough to get me to the right spot. I still use my Nokia 5800 for navigation when driving. (Ovi Maps is great compared to the iPhone and Android phones since it is free, you can preload the maps and it works even when you don't have a cell phone signal.)

My success rate in finding caches went way up once I switched to my Garmin Edge 305 cycling computer. It was a pain to input the coordinates, but it helped me quickly pass the 100 cache milestone. Since then, I've upgraded to the Garmin Oregon 450 and keep finding new features almost every week.

Good luck with your Nokia 5800. It is possible...but it can lead to some frustration trying to input coordinates manually and writing down clues. Being able to load 1000 caches at a time via a file is SO much easier. :mad:

I have a 5230 (which is the stripped down version of the 5800). I use Trekbuddy for caching. Alternatively, if you have a dataplan with the phone, how about trying geocaching live? Not perfect, but not bad either.

If you want to add caches to Ovi Maps, you can do it. Simply send a GPX file to the phone (either by email, or moving it across) and then "run" the file. Caches will be added as "landmarks" in the "Location" app on the phone, and (after a delay of 1 minute or so after opening Ovi Maps) they will load as "places" in Ovi Maps.

Matt

Thanks for the tip. I never knew you could send a GPX file to the phone. That would help eliminate manually entering the coordinates.

Do you have any problem with accuracy when using the 5230? My 5800 didn't always point me in the right direction when I was close to some caches.

Matt

Thanks for the tip. I never knew you could send a GPX file to the phone. That would help eliminate manually entering the coordinates.

Do you have any problem with accuracy when using the 5230? My 5800 didn't always point me in the right direction when I was close to some caches.

The key was using the additional bluetooth GPSr for me. The accuracy from the bluetooth GPSr is far better than the GPS built into the phone. I will admit though that a few times I have used the built in GPSr to find a a cache, and it has generally got me to the right location (sufficient to find with the hint anyway!)

Matt