Does anyone use a bluetooth GPS receiver with an iPhone?

I have an old Holux GPSlim 236 sitting around. It was always a great receiver when I paired it with my PDA for road navigation years ago. Combining the accuracy of the receiver with the great iPhone Geocaching app would make a killer combination.

I tried bluetooth pairing it with my iPhone last night but couldn't get the phone to see it. Has anyone gotten this to work? Does the phone need to be jailbroken to see the Holux?

I have an old Holux GPSlim 236 sitting around. It was always a great receiver when I paired it with my PDA for road navigation years ago. Combining the accuracy of the receiver with the great iPhone Geocaching app would make a killer combination.

I tried bluetooth pairing it with my iPhone last night but couldn't get the phone to see it. Has anyone gotten this to work? Does the phone need to be jailbroken to see the Holux?

If you jailbreak our iPhone, and then use a third-party app like ROQY-BT then you can pair your GPSr with your iPhone. I have played with this a little this past weekend to link my iPod Touch (3rd Generation) to my Garmin GPS10x bluetooth GPSr. It got good reception and took me right to the cache.

The drawback that I see is that it requires you to jailbreak your phone, and also requires you to purchase the third-party application to provide the bluetooth stack. There are other apps that ROQY-BT, but I didn't have any luck with the free ones...

Thanks for the tip! ROQY-BT sounds like the right way to go. I've been looking for an excuse to jailbreak...

I'm following up in case anyone else was interested in trying this. I jailbroke the phone (it was easy, used the gizmodo.com guides) and bought ROQY-BT.

The Holux pairs up immediately and sends the data to the Geocaching app automatically. It's definitely more accurate than the internal iPhone gps. Whereas using the Geocaching app with the internal gps feels "mushy" and sometimes never gets me to GZ, the Holux is steady and always points me in the right direction. It's not as accurate as my Oregon 400t, but it's a nice option to have. The only downside is carrying around the separate gps device.

Overall, I'm glad I did it.

Never used an iphone but we are on 109 caches so far using a Nokia w595, Navigami and a seperate GPS receiver... you don't get a fancy arrow but if you know where north is and you can read the co-ords it didn't stop us! :blink:

Just renewed the phone contracts and now had a Sony erricson vivaz U50 and a Nokia N97 with built in GPS a few days ago... not a clue what software to use with them... wen't caching yesterday with the w595 and the receiver lol

Any ideas?!

SCMP