Feature request: defining GPX version.

Tervas

At the moment the GPX version is determined on the "Account Details", affecting to all GPX downloads.

I would like to dl Pocket Querys using 1.0.1 format but individual caches (from listing page) in 1.0.0.

The reason:

I like to get the attribute data in GSAK which is the main method to transfer caches to my Colorado.

Every now and then I add (eg. just published) caches directly to GPS but alas, the Colorado does not accept the 1.0.1 format and goes berserk.

My wish is that I could define the GPX format in PQ definition as an addition to current manner.

At the moment the GPX version is determined on the "Account Details", affecting to all GPX downloads.

I would like to dl Pocket Querys using 1.0.1 format but individual caches (from listing page) in 1.0.0.

The reason:

I like to get the attribute data in GSAK which is the main method to transfer caches to my Colorado.

Every now and then I add (eg. just published) caches directly to GPS but alas, the Colorado does not accept the 1.0.1 format and goes berserk.

My wish is that I could define the GPX format in PQ definition as an addition to current manner.

Are you sure its the 1.0.1 gpx thats making your colorado go berserk? I don't believe I've seen this reported at all, although I have seen cases of individual caches doing this because of something non-standard on the page.

Yes, I'm pretty sure, I have accidentaly used the 1.0.1 format twice and on both occasions my Colorado began to behave strangely.

First case: all 1995 cahces on 1.0.1 -> the device could not power up.

Second: 1995 caches 1.0.0 and 1 cache 1.0.1 -> first all the other caches showed but not the 1.0.1 one.

Powered off and on: not a single caches were seen, not even when I changed the SD-card to another with a different cache set.

In both cases I had to re-install the Colorado software to make the GPS operate correctly.

I also tested that particular cache, and it was ok. when the GPX format was corret.

Edited by Tervas

I believe there are file size limits on the Colorado (there is definitely a limit on the number of .gpx files) , are you sure you aren't bumping into something like that?

A file with attributes is going to be larger, even though the colorado does not currently make use of them.

I only offer alternatives, because as far as I've seen, you are the 1st person to bump into this with any garmin product, or really almost anything except a delorme (yeah, the delorme people screamed loud and hard over this when the "1.0.1" change happened).

Not sure how much you know about .gpx format, but its essentially an xml file, and by definition, you can "extend" an xml file (which is what happened with the attributes), and if the receiver of the file doesn't understand the extensions, then it should ignore them, as if they aren't there.

Another issue might be, you say you are loading the files on a memory card? why aren't you loading them directly to the unit? I have heard of issues using memory cards.

I believe there are file size limits on the Colorado (there is definitely a limit on the number of .gpx files) , are you sure you aren't bumping into something like that?

A file with attributes is going to be larger, even though the colorado does not currently make use of them.

I think this is not the issue.

I only offer alternatives, because as far as I've seen, you are the 1st person to bump into this with any garmin product, or really almost anything except a delorme (yeah, the delorme people screamed loud and hard over this when the "1.0.1" change happened).

Not sure how much you know about .gpx format, but its essentially an xml file, and by definition, you can "extend" an xml file (which is what happened with the attributes), and if the receiver of the file doesn't understand the extensions, then it should ignore them, as if they aren't there.

Maybe I should do some more research, although, if it works, you don't pay attention :laughing:

Another issue might be, you say you are loading the files on a memory card? why aren't you loading them directly to the unit? I have heard of issues using memory cards.

1. There is this 2000 cache limit Colorado can handle, if/when I go out of my local area I can easily change the cache set to another (and maps too).

2. Sometimes if there is something odd in GPX, the GPS jams, usually it heals when you remove the corrupted file, but if the unit is too confused to communicate with computer...

3. My PC recognises the memory card much faster than the GPS, and the data transfer time is also faster.

4. The usb-connector seems to wear out much sooner than the SD-socket (I know few occurences, mine doesn't always connect reliably anymore, and very poorly if the cable also is old).

Edited by Tervas

The reason:

I use a Colorado 400T. .gpx files are set to 1.0.1. I use GSAK and occassionally direct load from the cache page. I have never had a problem with my Colorado loading individual caches.