downloading 24k maps and city navigator

Garmin's 24k topo and CN are copyrighted products. It would be illegal to make official Garmin products available in such a manner.

Read the descriptions for each mapset on gpsfiledepot - most of the State maps are near 24k quality/scale - however that might be defined.

What area(s) are you interested in?

Garmin's 24k topo and CN are copyrighted products. It would be illegal to make official Garmin products available in such a manner.

Read the descriptions for each mapset on gpsfiledepot - most of the State maps are near 24k quality/scale - however that might be defined.

I downloaded the maps for Pennsylvania and New York from gpsfiledepot, but its the same as the 100k topo map I already have downloaded on my gps.

I downloaded the maps for Pennsylvania and New York from gpsfiledepot, but its the same as the 100k topo map I already have downloaded on my gps.

As far as I am aware, there is no 100k mapset on gpsfiledepot. Do you mean Garmin's 100k map product download from them?

What is the same? Contours, hydro, roads, POIs.

The USGS printed 100ks use a CI of 10 or 20 meters in PA & NY; the 24ks use 10 & 20 feet (and some 5ft, 10m & 20m in NY) - the PA & NY mapsets at gpsfiledepot use 10 and 20 feet.

The NY and PA map sets definately are higher resolution than the 100k Garmin datasets.

However: I'd suggest the Northeast Topo map sets, as they seem to have more detailed hydro data.

Correct on resolution and correct on hydro detail.

The NY & PA mapsets used hydro from Census (which appears to be a cross between better than 100k and NHD 24k - slowly migrating to NHD 24k). NE topo used NHD 24k (which nationwide has a number of issues).

The map author of NE topo used a 20' contour interval for all 48 States; whereas the printed USGS topo quads are about 20% at 40' or 80', 30% at 20', and 50% at 10' or 5'. He also used elevation grid points at 30m spacing, while everyone else is using source data with a 10m spacing.

Take your pick on which might be better for your purposes.