PN40 Compass acting up!

the compass on my pn40 is usually spot on when seeking a cache, with the arrow directing me, but if I stop moving, the arrow starts pointing behind me, beside me, etc when the cache is straight ahead. Can anyone shed some light on what the heck is happening?

the compass on my pn40 is usually spot on when seeking a cache, with the arrow directing me, but if I stop moving, the arrow starts pointing behind me, beside me, etc when the cache is straight ahead. Can anyone shed some light on what the heck is happening?

It needs calibration.

When on the compass page, go to the Menu and select calibration. You don't need to do the big arm swings as indicated by the demo, just pivot the PN in the same direction in the palm of your hand.

is this really the only problem you've run into on this unit? I'm hunting a decent one for the wife primarily and me on the side and this thing seems to have all the bells and whistles of some of the way higher priced garmins and whatnot, for much less.....

any issues to speak of?

Probably the worst knock on it is battery life; you might expect 6 to 12 hours per set depending on battery type and some other factors. So I always carry an extra set or two. The autorouting is servicable, but not as good as the Garmins will do. Some people prefer a larger screen than the PN's offer.

I do think that the DeLormes offer very good value.

Probably the worst knock on it is battery life; you might expect 6 to 12 hours per set depending on battery type and some other factors. So I always carry an extra set or two. The autorouting is servicable, but not as good as the Garmins will do. Some people prefer a larger screen than the PN's offer.

most of my caching is either done by bike (in which I'll pick my own routes based on traffic) or out in a canyon where I'll be on foot, so, auto-routing won't bother me....as far as screen size....I think that might be an issue if it's not a high quality screen, since I'll lose over 1" in screen size over my current unit....

as far as batteries....heck, 6 hours is good, a full charge on my 9550 the way I go caching in the canyon and I've got about 4 hours of battery at best....

what else should I keep in mind before setting my debit card to work? anyplace selling cheaper than amazon's 249.99??

Probably the worst knock on it is battery life; you might expect 6 to 12 hours per set depending on battery type

Agreed. But the PN-40 requires a very high battery draw. When your PN-40 says the batteries are dead, they are actually still 2/3 charged. Just take them out and put them into toys, remotes, or whatever and they'll run for a long time (probably for a couple years in a well-used remote control). I just cycle my AA batteries from my PN-40 to anything else that needs them. I also have it plugged into my computer via USB while at home and in a power port to USB adapter when in the car. It uses no (or at least very little) battery power when plugged in with USB.

most of my caching is either done by bike (in which I'll pick my own routes based on traffic) or out in a canyon where I'll be on foot, so, auto-routing won't bother me....as far as screen size....I think that might be an issue if it's not a high quality screen, since I'll lose over 1" in screen size over my current unit....

as far as batteries....heck, 6 hours is good, a full charge on my 9550 the way I go caching in the canyon and I've got about 4 hours of battery at best....

what else should I keep in mind before setting my debit card to work? anyplace selling cheaper than amazon's 249.99??

REI has them for $300 and then there's the $50 rebate from delorme and a 20% off 1 item coupon floating around for REI members. Membership is $20. So 300-60-50+20=$210, plus you then have a lifetime membership at REI which gives you 10% back on any regular priced item that you buy (so you won't get it back on the pn-40 if you use the 20% coupon). If you can't find the 20% off coupon, then you'll get 10% off as a member so it would be $240 total. I think REI probably has the best deal right now.

Edited by hoyshnin