Ta Da! Clueless question of the week!

Desert_Trailblazers

Okay, I admit it. I should be able to figure this out by myself. I've even been an IT (this is really embarrassing) for a large company before. But I can't figure out how to use the friggin' Quote feature for replies in the Forum! I've tried highlighting the text and clicking on this and that, and clicking on this and that and then highlighting the text and clicked some more, and after six months, I give... I'm calling "Uncle."

Would some kind person, who will obviously have an IQ greater than my seemingly one of 80, please tell me the steps to pull a quote out from a reply on a thread, and only have that text show up in my reply?

It will probably only take one reply to this, as I am convinced I am the only person who regularly visits the Forums who doesn't know how to do this, and I can tell you my reply in advance: DOH!

Thank you :D

Okay, I admit it. I should be able to figure this out by myself. I've even been an IT (this is really embarrassing) for a large company before. But I can't figure out how to use the friggin' Quote feature for replies in the Forum! I've tried highlighting the text and clicking on this and that, and clicking on this and that and then highlighting the text and clicked some more, and after six months, I give... I'm calling "Uncle."

Would some kind person, who will obviously have an IQ greater than my seemingly one of 80, please tell me the steps to pull a quote out from a reply on a thread, and only have that text show up in my reply?

It will probably only take one reply to this, as I am convinced I am the only person who regularly visits the Forums who doesn't know how to do this, and I can tell you my reply in advance: DOH!

Ok well as my IQ is ~81 I'll give this a try :D

Click on the "+ quote" button of the person's post you want to quote. The button turn red

Now scroll down and click on the "Add reply" button, NOT the quick reply! When the ADD REPLY box pops up you should see all the text from that person's post.

Add your comments below (or above) their comments, and voila, done!

It's Saturday. I'm taking the day off from your questions. :D

(Cracking myself up!)

It's Saturday. I'm taking the day off from your questions. :D

(Cracking myself up!)

BlueDeuce, you are more than entitled, and I don't blame you if you take the rest of the year off from my questions! Thanks again for your help yesterday! :unsure:

NordicMan, I did exactly as you suggested, and as you can see it didn't work, so either we're missing a step, or the Universe just doesn't want me to be able to use this feature. :lol:

NordicMan, I did exactly as you suggested, and as you can see it didn't work, so either we're missing a step, or the Universe just doesn't want me to be able to use this feature. :D

The mistake I tend to make when I use this feature is to hit the wrong "Reply" button. After using the +QUOTE feature as described above, don't use the REPLY button that's attached to a particular post, use the ADD REPLY button after the last post in the thread.

--Larry

Nah, I don't mind. Helping people out is one of the reasons to be here in the first place.

Clicking the reply button of someone's post will automatically quote the response. You can trim out any unwanted text.

Otherwise use the html option that looks like this

[quote]their text here [/quote]

Edited by BlueDeuce

NordicMan, I did exactly as you suggested, and as you can see it didn't work, so either we're missing a step, or the Universe just doesn't want me to be able to use this feature. :D

The mistake I tend to make when I use this feature is to hit the wrong "Reply" button. After using the +QUOTE feature as described above, don't use the REPLY button that's attached to a particular post, use the ADD REPLY button after the last post in the thread.

--Larry

Well, Larry, this didn't seem to work either, so now I'm starting to see that there really is a "trick" to this that is not that easily figured out!! However, you have given me an idea, so I'm going to try that next post! :lol:

BlueDuece, I know you can delete any text out of the reply in the Preview Post, or use the HTML tags to edit the post, but these are "workarounds" and as a semi computer geek I get kinda crazy when I can't figure how to do something the "right" way... the way it was intended to work by the programmers. That +Quote button wouldn't be there if it wasn't meant to be used to only pull out some particular text to insert into a reply, and my guess is that a person should be able to highlight some particular text and just do a couple of key strokes to make this be the Quote. But %$#^&^ if this isn't being a pain in the tush to figure out!

BTW, what programs are you using to modify the screen prints you are inserting into your replies, and also the drawings (arrows... vector images) that you use? This could be done with something like copy and paste from a Publisher or Word document, but just curious how you like to do it... :D

Ah, the right way.

That +quote button should shut off the quote when replying, but it doesn't.

You have to manually edit to get anything else but a full quote.

At best, when replying you can select text and click the 'wrap in a Quote' button located on the tool bar when posting.

You'll have to remove the unwanted detail yourself.

BTW, what programs are you using to modify the screen prints you are inserting into your replies, and also the drawings (arrows... vector images) that you use? This could be done with something like copy and paste from a Publisher or Word document, but just curious how you like to do it... :D

It's a PITA process.

Print Screen. Paste into Microsoft paint. Copy just what I want and paste that into a fresh Microsoft paint file. Save as a jpg file. Upload to the internet. Insert the link into the forum posting.

[img=http://www.photo.jpg]

Ah, the right way.

Well, geez. I wonder why the Webmaster doesn't catch this stuff.

The forum software isn't managed/programed by gc.com.

We have a list of things we'd like to see fixed/improved. :D

By the way, we've had whole threads dedicated to borking the quote thingy. :D

It's a PITA process.

Print Screen. Paste into Microsoft paint. Copy just what I want and paste that into a fresh Microsoft paint file. Save as a jpg file. Upload to the internet. Insert the link into the forum posting.

[img=http://www.photo.jpg]

Yeah, that's what I thought you were doing, except I don't have Paint. Publisher will work to do this too, but I would have had to look up the HTML tags for inserting into the post, so thanks for that piece of info.

You certainly do not strike me as some Johnny-come-lately to the internet.

If I seem to be over-explaining things it's only because the forum is a poor medium to discuss technical issues. I figure it's best to provide detailed information in case I'm the one who doesn't understand the question.

Happy Caching!

You certainly do not strike me as some Johnny-come-lately to the internet.

If I seem to be over-explaining things it's only because the forum is a poor medium to discuss technical issues. I figure it's best to provide detailed information in case I'm the one who doesn't understand the question.

Happy Caching!

Thanks BlueDeuce! I'm not new to computers, but I am new to Geocaching so all of these little tidbits are welcome. When I get involved in something I do tend to be very interested in learning all that I can about it, and really become proficient.

That's actually my version of my personality. My friends call me "anal retentive!" :D

Happy Caching to you!

By the way, we've had whole threads dedicated to borking the quote thingy. :lol:

Well, that makes me feel a little better! :D

By the way, we've had whole threads dedicated to borking the quote thingy. :unsure:

BTW, I had to look up the word "bork" :D I have to admit it's an appropriate term for this! :unsure:

I'm glad you started this topic, because I didn't understand the purpose of +Quote before. Now I see that it lets you quote multiple posts in one reply. I'm sure that sooner of later I'll find a use for this feature.

I guess I'll see you around the forums then, AR. :unsure:

Without a doubt. (However, I could do without that AR label here! :D :D ) I have more posts to the Forum than we have Found caches!! Need I say more?! (Of course that is not for lack of enthusiasm and skill... just a broken body that never seems to want to cooperate on a pretty day! But, on the positive side, caching actually helps with that, so I hope for that to change very soon. :lol:)