Magellan Meridian Platinum firmware update issues

My father gifted me his old Magellan Meridian Platinum a couple years ago. It sat in a box until today.

Went for a hike, thought I'd try it out. It worked very well.

When I got home, I thought I'd check and see if there were any firmware updates to it. IIRC it was running 3.12, and when I checked the newest version was 5.40. That's quite an update!

I didn't clear the data before I did the update. Even so, the update seemed to go just fine, but when the unit is powered on I get a screen asking what language I want to use. English is default (at the top) but hitting "Enter" does nothing except beep at me. I can't even seem to be able to use most of the "button shortcuts" with the exception of turning off the unit immediately.

I thought if I downgraded back to 3.12 it might be okay, but this time it seemed to brick the unit!

I found this link: http://sites.google.com/site/rayjeromejobs/magellanwaasfix and managed to get the firmware back to 5.40 - but I'm still where i started - I can't get off the "Select Language" screen. I've attempted to use the button shortcuts to clear the memory, but it doesn't work. Well...I got the prompt to come up - once - but I could not move the cursor to actually select "yes". Even with it on "No" it wouldn't accept hitting "Enter" to move on.

I actually got it to take a 3.12 firmware, and restored the unit to operational status.

This time I erased the memory, then I tried upgrading it to 5.40 again...useless again.

Changing it back to 3.12 now. Unless there's a fix I don't know about, this just isn't working and I can't figure out why.

I had a Plat years ago, so my memory is a bit rusty. But my recollection is that there were some good features to get in the 5.xx firmware upgrades. I also seem to recall that newest was not necessarily the best, although I can't recall what the drawbacks were. If you can locate some slightly older firmwares (I'm thinking 5.12 or so) maybe you'll have better luck.

A better tip I can offer is to see if you can locate the Yahoo Meridian Users group. It probably has less action these days, but there was a lot of useful help there. You might find some useful help in the file area of that group.

Also check out the Meridian FAQs in the master FAQs thread at the top of this forum. Unfortunately, the problem you're describing sounds pretty strange to me.

With the exception of the very newest version, all the firmware files I got from the Yahoo! group: 3.12, 4.06, 5.35 and 5.40 WAAS fixed.

After I reflashed back to 5.40 it still didn't work. So back to 3.12...bricked again. Tried it at least six more times. Reflashed to 5.40...still stuck on language. Flashed to 4.06, stuck on language, then flashed to 3.12, and the unit is working again.

I can't figure it out. It doesn't make any sense!

If you keep getting stuck at choosing a language, give a try accessing the secret menu system. I'd try executing #32 to clear all memory.

It's very strange that you can get 3.12 to work--sometimes--but nothing with anything else. I'm starting to wonder if you've got a hardware problem like some bad memory.

One of the first things I did was try accessing the "secret menu". Since I can't do much with any button, it didn't do anything. :)

The keypresses I've been able to access (even after bricking) are:

three finger salute (shut down immediately)

turn on upload software mode

I did find something odd...sometimes after updating to another version I can hit "Up" and it'll scroll thru the language choices, but even then I can't hit "Enter" to choose any of them. And once I hit "Down" and it moved down one choice - but no further.

Fallyn: those are the instructions I used.

I use fresh, new, strong alkaline batteries, for the serious stuff, like downloads. Also, after it says "Done", I usually wait a full minute, or longer, to make sure that it is really done.

I got a new Meridian Color last year, and it came with version 4.02. I checked it out against a SporTrak, for a few days, then downloaded the 5.40 WAAS fixed, from the yahoo group. Everything went smooth. Happy Camper!