teaching myself to use the explorist 500le... so confused...

jimmypisstank

hey everyone. had the Explorist 500le for about 3 yes and never really used it till I found out about Geocaching 1 month ago. learned how to imput co-ordinates and all was good. Now I downloaded a map from Magellan's website (topo canada-ontario with streets), saved it on a 4GB card, put it in the GPS and dont know how to activate it!!!

On a menu screen it says i have used 56% on the internal memory but nothing for external memory (i saw a screenshot somewhere on the net of the screen i was on and it had 2 memory spots listed).

so anyone know how to activate this? i downloaded the manual online but its 120pgs and i have no clue where to start...

so ive been looking @ the manual.....

I have decided that the GPS is NOT knowing that there is a 4gb SD card in it.

the manual says:

1. to plug in the to the laptop with the external memory in the GPS.

2. click what mode you would like to use. (i want usb file transfer, so i click on it)

"NOTE: by default, the explorist will save to the Internal memory, if u want to save to a SD card instead, from the File transfer screen you need to : Press Enter, highlight File transfer, click enter, highlight SD card and click enter"

i can find the file transfer screen and all it says is :Unit is in the USB file transfer Mode. Communicating with the host machine" but it does not give me any options on how to pick the SD card....

what do i do?

I think your explorist may be having issues with the SD card. Not sure if it will recognize a 4 GB card. Have you tried updating the firmware? do you have a 2 GB card laying around you could try? I seem to remember that the explorists took issue with some 4 GB cards.

no i dont, i bought 2-4gig a while agoon sale, other than that i have no other sd cards. ill try to find one..

anyone know the basics of loading maps to the gps?? can i just stick the sd card into the laptop and "click and drag" the file to the sd card?? or do i have to open the file with mapsend and convert it then put it into the sd card then into the gps??

i though this would be as easy as drag and click.....