How are the Tritons nowadays?

I was looking today at the Triton 2000 and 1500 on the 'bay--they look like they're in my price range.

But all the reviews I could find were from 2007/2008 when they came out and completely slagged them off, saying the firmware was a geocaching nightmare.

Here there were newer reviews saying things like "oh, the new firmware fixes everything!" but, of course, I'm a bit skeptical--does anybody have any insight into how those things are running nowadays? Are they still the mess they were before?

The latest firmware fixed a lot of the problems, I have a 400 and find it very accurate.

I tried one when they first came out and they were a piece of carp, and I took it back, As each firmware came along they slowly got better. when one of my explorists 500 died I decided to try the triton again and found it passable.

When it lost the base map I went to garmin, I still use it and my other exp, as backup after replacing the base map on both

Edited by vagabond

How's the paperless features? Do you get all the details of the cache, or no? And looking around, it seems like you can't mark them as 'found' w/o clearing them all and doing another PQ--did I read that right?

Thanks!

As just this week Magellan announced the Explorist GC, do you really want to get on the Triton wagon at this point? Magellan has a track record of not being kind to previous generations after a new generation picks up steam.

The Triton is not too bad now. I have had one since initial release, and it has come a long way. Some bugs still exist: can't easily mark cache as Found, alarm beeper is barely audible, and a feature called Trips (intended to organize together related tracks, photos, waypoints, caches, etc) is not implemented but is still on the menu. Cache descriptions must be stripped of html junk before loading.

Reasons to buy: very attractive purchase price, maps that are basically cost free, including aerial photo maps at suprisingly close resolution (as good as you can see on Google map view zoomed in) but you need to create these yourself using some simple 3rd party apps. See www.tritonforum.com for details and peer tech support. There are also vector style maps availble for next to nothing from 3rd party.

It's probably bad that the best part of the unit after the price is the looks, isn't it?

Must tell myself....hot-looking GPSr may or may not be a good idea...

Buying a triton is all about the price. For the price (if you pay little enough) it is an ok option. You get better value with other units, but if you budget is $100 or less It's hard to argue with getting a triton 400 or 500. Usable but by no means ideal.