Ordnance Survey maps on Etrex

In case you missed the posts tucked away inside another thread, here's what an OS map looks like displayed on a Legend HCx;

f8d213fa-5035-4174-a534-28130360b57a.jpg

There are some limitations due to the slow display speed, but it does seem to be possible. I used Map Rectifier to create the GeoTiff and MOAGU to compile the maps.

So it's possible to display ANY map on the device, and using a GSAK macro you can also store almost unlimited waypoints along with (abbreviated) details and (full) hints. Making it a more powerful caching tool than you might at first think.

Thats great no more getting lost

For us simply folk can you talk us through had you did it.

I don't have much spare time at the moment so I can't produce a full guide. But in summary;

1. Use the Moagu website to download and install cgsmapper then Moagu itself.

2. create an image file of the area of map you're going to use (try 500x500 pixels first, to test it out)

3. upload the file to Map Rectifier.

4. click on the hyperlink for your uploaded map. I had to use Firefox as it doesn't seem to work with IE. You should see your map on the left and a reference map on the right (there are options to select Google Satellite views and this seems to be the best option).

4. find the area of your map on the satellite image, and get to to a useful scale. Then, select several control points, as per the instructions.

5. save the created map as a GeoTiff file. Use Moagu GeoTiff Examine to create a worldfile from the GeoTiff.

6. Load the GeoTiff and Worldfile into Moagu, then follow the instructions (there is a Help!).

7. connect the GPSr and load the finished map as per the Help text (note that you'll overwrite any current maps, so be prepared to reload from Mapsource).

It's probably not for someone with no experience of GPS, but with a bit of effort you can load any map, such as scanned paper maps or extracts from Memory Map. Whether you can tolerate the slow redraw speed depends on how you use the unit.