magellan triton 1500

celtrose

Hello......

I just want some input...I am in the market for a new handheld, and the magellan triton has crossed my path. I have only ever used garmin, ,so I was looking for opinions on this model....not only good things ANY issues that would sway me either way is what I am looking for......

Thanks for your time,

Carrie

Triton 1500

The Pro's are:

Paperless

Accurate

Cons:

Poor user interface (usable, but not as easy as others)

Must use vantage point to load Geocaches (also can't "send to GPS" on GC.com like just about all other brands)

Absolutely NO routable street maps (can't get driving directions)

Magellan tech support is pretty lousy.

If you can get one really cheap, $100 bucks or less, then they are OK units to have. But more than that and you can find better units for your money.

Absolutely NO routable street maps (can't get driving directions)

That's not entirely true,

there is NO official Magellan RoadNav solution, but there is ViaGPS for Triton's 1500/2000 ( http://www.topomap.hr/cbe_NA_en.html ).

Not only that will give you driving directions, but also you will have voice guidance instead of beep-beep :blink:

Do you still have to boot on a different OS and then reboot when you want to use the magellan software, or have these guys found a way around it. If they haven't It is a royal Pain to use.

I owned a Triton 500 for a short while. It was the worst GPS I've ever owned. To be fair, the GPS functions worked fine, but the geocaching support, 3rd party support options, proprietary (EXPENSIVE) power/USB cable, pitiful battery life, lack of Mac support, and cumbersome interface killed it. I paid little enough that it wasn't worth the gas to return it, it's currently serving as a hunting GPS (just has to record a waypoint and return to it) and glorified speedometer for my brother. I used it to record a few tracks and the NatGeo map support was a nice feature, but it fell short in so many other ways!

Quality wise the hardware wasn't bad, in every other way Magellan has taken a seriously wrong turn somewhere. Unless the 1500 has *substiantially* improved things take a look at Garmin, DeLorne, or Lowrance instead. The Lowrance Out & Back is getting a lot of good buzz on the forums here, wish I'd known about it before I bought my Dakota. But I do like my Dakota so I might not have been swayed.

Do you still have to boot on a different OS and then reboot when you want to use the magellan software, or have these guys found a way around it. If they haven't It is a royal Pain to use.

Yes and no.

Yes if you are using just ViaGPS, and no if you are using ViaGPS within Triton TotalMOD ( personally using ViaGPS in combination with TotalMOD which gives me additional option to use OziCE and bunch of other programs ).

That 30 seconds for rebooting are more then compensated with full road navigation with all options as on any Autmotive unit.

After all, you need more time to park a car and continue on foot or vice versa :blink: