Open Street Map

Zurfco

I requested a map of my usual roaming areas (VA, WV, MD, PA). I don't know if that's too big or not. They say to only request the maps you need because large maps take a long time. However, they give no indication of what is "large". Given that they provide maps for the whole world, four states didn't seem big in comparison. But it is a lot of tiles, so maybe it is "large." It's hard to say.

So, anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how long it ought to take for the link to the maps to show up in my inbox.

Thanks,

Zurfco

I requested a map of my usual roaming areas (VA, WV, MD, PA). I don't know if that's too big or not. They say to only request the maps you need because large maps take a long time. However, they give no indication of what is "large". Given that they provide maps for the whole world, four states didn't seem big in comparison. But it is a lot of tiles, so maybe it is "large." It's hard to say.

So, anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how long it ought to take for the link to the maps to show up in my inbox.

Thanks,

Zurfco

They've been having server problems. If it's been more than a day, resubmit your request.

You might want to check out cloudmade.com.

They periodically take the data from OSM and make downloadable files in shape and .img formats.

If you have an CO, OR, or DK you could rename each gmapsupp.img file; otherwise you would have to use something like sendmap to combine them and whatever non-locked maps you might want on your GPSr.

They periodically take the data from OSM and make downloadable files in shape and .img formats.

If you have an CO, OR, or DK you could rename each gmapsupp.img file; otherwise you would have to use something like sendmap to combine them and whatever non-locked maps you might want on your GPSr.

Rename gmaspsupp.img?

What is a non-locked map?

Rename gmaspsupp.img?

What is a non-locked map?

You didn't specify what GPSr you are using. Snowfleurys lists GPSRs that can accept multiple gmapsupp.IMG files. However, to avoid overwriting files you need multiple names. So you rename your first gmapsupp.IMG "a_reasonable_map_name.IMG" and write another gmapsupp.IMG. For instance, I renamed the gmapsupp.img created by CityNavigator CNNANT.IMG on my OR.

A non-locked map isn't locked. City Navigator is locked-- to a single GPSR.

Edited by seldom_sn

Thanks seldom_sn and snowfleurys!

The "locked" I didn't grasp, but "Locked to a single GPSr" helped. I know exactly what you mean now. Good diagnosis. That is my exact problem. I loaded City Navigator maps to my Oregon 200, but they were downloaded for my wifes Nuvi 265W. The maps show up but aren't routable. I admit to not having read the license agreement (sorry Garmin). So, I am looking for an alternative that is routable because Garmin's technology worked perfectly!

It looks like Openstreetmap has completely changed their user interface from when I was on it the other day. They've made it much more informative and flexible, but unfortunately for a newbie like me that means I'm going to have to do a bunch of research and playing around and asking questions from smart folks. I did notice that on OSM at least they give explanations of the different acronyms and file extensions and explain them in a way that describes their use rather than an esoteric engineering principle. In short - excellent doco! I write doco for something completely unrelated and appreciate it when done well.