Players bearing

a_snail

Hi

Does anyone know how to get the players bearing i.e which way they are pointing.

I could do it by getting the players position, then a second later get another position and work out which way they are going, but that requires the player to move around.

I've tried to get Player.CurrentBearing working, but it always seems to give me zero. Possibly I'm just not using it in the right way.

Thanks

A_Snail

I see lots of viewings, but no suggestions :)

However, I have worked out how to use CurrentBearing and CurrentDistance properties. In both cases they give information about where the object (item/location/character) is relative to the player (hence always being zero for player).

To use it in author code, you refer to it like:

zitemName.CurrentBearing

So you could display it on screen useing something like:

Wherigo.MessageBox{Text=tostring(zitemName.CurrentBearing),}

Unfortunately for me its a compass bearing rather than relative to the direction the user is pointing.

On the Oregon, there is a little arrow in the top right that points to the object regardless of which way you hold the GPS, so the information is known to the system.

Out of interest, are there any devices out there that can play Wherigos that don't have a built in compass to know which way the gps is pointing?

A_Snail

Out of interest, are there any devices out there that can play Wherigos that don't have a built in compass to know which way the gps is pointing?

I would say "all of them, apart from the Garmin devices".

I can think of a couple of reasons not to have a compass API available for Wherigo:

- lack of hardware support - OK, maybe it could be emulated

- marketing reasons; all this "bearing" stuff will come across as being a bit "Boy Scout", and people of that kind of persuasion are already out geocaching :); future growth requires reaching out to people who would be allergic to a compass.

future growth requires reaching out to people who would be allergic to a compass.

A fair comment. I was actually trying to work out if its possible to have a much bigger arrow by reinventing the wheel and doing my own arrow pointing which way to go (no need to give users the actual bearing numbers)

On the other none Garmin devices, I assume then you still have a little arrow telling you which way the object is, but it only updates if you keep moving to new locations, and its at its best when you walk in straight lines.

I agree with you about the need for a big pointer like thing for the zones that geocachers have while zeroing in on a cache. I’m getting lots of flack because of the little disappearing pointer. I tell them to run as fast as they can from zone to zone. Naw! On my last cartridge I put caches at the zones, not a solution for most cartridges but a good little trick sometimes.