60 CSX Map chip vs Data Chip

Santa brought me a new 60 CSX - what a guy. I am planning on a boy scout trip to Isle Royale this summer (can't wait to log the earth cache there). My question is, I want the topo maps for the unit. I have the choice of a plug in chip, or the dvd for my computer. I also want to be able to log our entire trip as a trail and store it on a memory card (I have alot of wants, I know). 50 miles over 8 days of trails - will that fit in the unit memory, or do I need a storage card? My initial thought is to get the DVD of the national parks and just download the topo info of Isle royal to the memory chip, and use the rest for trail storage?

Any suggestions? also, whats the largest chip the unit will take?

Edited by yukonjack2

The 60CSx is a great GPS, you'll enjoy. As far as the topo maps you have a few options. Free topo maps are available at GPS File Depot along with a lot of other free street maps and individual's custom maps. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ If you still want to buy Garmin's Topo Map I would highly suggest getting the maps on the DVD; this way you can view the maps on your computer. If you buy it on the memory card then the maps are not viewable on your computer.

The largest (Micro sd) memory card recommended for the unit is a 4Gb, stay with a good name brand card such as Sandisk or Kingston. They can be bought for less than $10 online.

Be sure to record all of your tracks / trails hiked onto the memory card (is a setting to do this, in addition to storing in unit's internal memory). This way you can view all of your trail data recorded during the week without any loss of track data, on your PC after you get back home.

edit: 1. Be sure to update unit's software to the latest version. Go to Garmin's website for free download of latest software.

2. You will also need Garmin's Mapsource software for your PC to install maps to your GPS and to view maps, tracks, routes, & waypoints on your computer, other software will do the same but Mapsource may be the most intuitive and easiest to start with and will do everything you will probably want to do. If you don't have Mapsource follow instructions here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...-with-your-gps/ to get it.

NOTE: Download and install Mapsource before you download any free maps if you don't already have Mapsource.

Edited by eaparks