DeLorme on the SPOT

embra

Tim caught wind of a product that is expected to be announced by DeLorme and SPOT at CES next week. It is described as "a handheld GPS with custom satellite messaging." Sounds like a good combo (if SPOT irons out some of the problems that have been reported here).

Needless to say: details to follow.

Edited by embra

Sweet,

While I'm still not a big fan of Delormes maps, I've got to give them credit for creative thinking. I've also got to say they're really coming on strong lately with improving their products in a very useful way. I'm thinking I'll be one of the early purchasers of this unit when it comes out, providing of course the price is somewhat reasonable. Being an exploring type of guy who is more in to trying to keep the people back home happy than I am in having a PLB, this sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Caleb (DeLorme's marketing VP) added this hint of what the DeLorme/Spot combo will offer:

The big new thing is users will be able to type short freeform messages, which they cannot currently do using SPOT, as it has no interface. So the first time the young dad takes the kids off hiking, he can reassure family back home that they arrived safely and all is well. Or request some forgotten meds be brought by someone joining them later. As well as perform the 911 emergency and tracking-to-the-Web services (facebook, geocaching.com, twitter, spotadventures, etc.)

I, too, will want to know more about pricing and other details before jumping in...but this sounds like it has the potential to be a very useful feature. I know you've mentioned how you like to go out by yourself, Searching_ut; I don't get into quite as isolated situations as it sounds you occasionally do, but I antipate being able to take some solo hikes a bit more often and with more reassurance for the concerned ones back at home base.

Caleb (DeLorme's marketing VP) added this hint of what the DeLorme/Spot combo will offer:

The big new thing is users will be able to type short freeform messages, which they cannot currently do using SPOT, as it has no interface. So the first time the young dad takes the kids off hiking, he can reassure family back home that they arrived safely and all is well. Or request some forgotten meds be brought by someone joining them later. As well as perform the 911 emergency and tracking-to-the-Web services (facebook, geocaching.com, twitter, spotadventures, etc.)

I, too, will want to know more about pricing and other details before jumping in...but this sounds like it has the potential to be a very useful feature. I know you've mentioned how you like to go out by yourself, Searching_ut; I don't get into quite as isolated situations as it sounds you occasionally do, but I antipate being able to take some solo hikes a bit more often and with more reassurance for the concerned ones back at home base.

Actually, it’s not just the ability to feel a little more secure when out on your own I find interesting and exciting, but the possibilities for when the wife and I are out on doing the backcountry 4X4 thing in the side by side atv. While I’m getting older in a hurry it seems, I’m still up to a 40 or 50 mile hike if need be should the mechanics break down. I’m not confident in the wifes abilities in that area though, and the thought of leaving her on her own don’t appeal to me either. It would be a big plus to not only have the capability to request assistance, but to specify what parts, or type of rescue was needed.

We also found the spot kind of fun when we were on a cruise ship. I’d send out an okay signal a couple of times a day, which would show the kids and friends where we were, which they found re-assuring and kind of fun since they knew we were skirting around a tropical storm. We could have made phone calls from the boat, but for the cost of a couple minutes of talking you could enjoy a nice cold drink around the pool which seemed like a much better way to spend the cash.

The more I think about it, the more I'm finding the concept to be the first GPS improvement in awhile that has really excited me.

The more I think about it, the more I'm finding the concept to be the first GPS improvement in awhile that has really excited me.

I agree, and I am really thinking that I want one.

However, with a perfectly good PN-40, it will be hard to justify the cost, regardless of what that is.

Oh, sheesh, darn, just as I was typing I accidentally tipped the coffee over and it spilled on my -40 and now it is starting to spark and smoke. :anibad:

However, with a perfectly good PN-40, it will be hard to justify the cost, regardless of what that is.

Oh, sheesh, darn, just as I was typing I accidentally tipped the coffee over and it spilled on my -40 and now it is starting to spark and smoke. :P

Nah, won't fly. It's IPX7. A little spill like that won't hurt it. :anibad:

Oh, sheesh, darn, just as I was typing I accidentally tipped the coffee over and it spilled on my -40 and now it is starting to spark and smoke. :P

Nah, won't fly. It's IPX7. A little spill like that won't hurt it. :anibad:

Sheesh, forgot about the IPX7 waterproof compliance.

OK, I'll do a Rockin' Roddy and leave it on the roof of my Jeep when I drive off.

Oh-oh, did that with a cellphone a while back, but I realized it right away, stopped and retrieved it and it survived.

I'll sleep on it.

Hey, where's RR nowadays?

Oh, sheesh, darn, just as I was typing I accidentally tipped the coffee over and it spilled on my -40 and now it is starting to spark and smoke. :anibad:

Last time I spilled coffee, . . . I was punished w/a new MacBook Pro, "Oh darn" :P , best o' luck

trying to get the "Magic smoke" back in your PN, CP!

Norm

P. S. :

The previous MacBook lives @ my daughters house after a short convalescence on the water heater.

Hmmm, I suppose the justification thing is an issue I need to start working on right away being as how I have a couple perfectly good GPS units, and a Spot II already. When I got the Dakota shortly after buying the PN-40 I had to use the old offset concept on the wife. The Mexican Rivera cruise that purchase cost me was shall we say somewhat more expensive than the Dakota.

The more I think about it, wouldn’t the acids in the coffee eat the seal on the PN-40? I’m thinking that might be the story I stick to.