"International" maps

user13371

I've looked at more than one software map product that advertises "North American" cverage to include Canada and Mexico. While the USA coverage is decent, as soon as you get into Canada or Mexico it's usually sparse and inaccurate. Better than nothing but not great.

Does ANYONE (Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, DeLorme) offer a current package with seamless coverage of more than one country? It's especially jarring if you're looking at a detailed map of some border are like Detroit Michigan -- and across the bridge in Windsor Ontario nothing shows but main roads and railroad lines (many of which have been disused for years).

Or is discountiutiy just a fact of life in everyone's packages?

I've looked at more than one software map product that advertises "North American" cverage to include Canada and Mexico. While the USA coverage is decent, as soon as you get into Canada or Mexico it's usually sparse and inaccurate. Better than nothing but not great.

Does ANYONE (Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, DeLorme) offer a current package with seamless coverage of more than one country? It's especially jarring if you're looking at a detailed map of some border are like Detroit Michigan -- and across the bridge in Windsor Ontario nothing shows but main roads and railroad lines (many of which have been disused for years).

Or is discountiutiy just a fact of life in everyone's packages?

I've used CityNavigator NANT in US & Canada, but not right on the border. The detail seemed satisfactory in both countries, and it got me from Calgary airport to hotel to Banff and back, no problems.

If you reinstall Topo8 and select the Canadian map data for installation this time, things will probably look better.
Actually, I was describing the Canadian detail in DeLorme's Topo 8* (not 7) in my original post. Yes, it's better than it was in T7, but T8's Canadian "detailed" maps are only slightly better than the USA "basemap."

If we have a "snow day" here in Portland and I don't have to go to the office, I'll post some images later to show you what I mean. Or if you have have T8 yourself, go to any international border that has major cities on either side (like Detroit/Windsor) to see what I'm talking about.

---

* Edit to add: I don't have Topo 8 installed on my Mac, and I based my original comment here on viewing pre-cut map data loaded to my PN-40. John Moran posted a comment over in DeLorme's Topo 8 forum and might be able to come up with a better view. In the meantime I'm checking my PN-40 view settings to make sure they're correct/optimal for displaying the precut data.

Edited by lee_rimar