amy8981

I just got my gps for christmas and after several exchanges found one that suited geocaching as well as road travel. The garmin nuvi 205w. I love it, I got it yesterday and so far have found three caches. It's addicting, fun and a little frustrating lol I'm off to a slow start. How do I do paperless caching?? Thanks for all your help!! Any useful info would be gratefully appreciated!!! :lol:

Amy

Since your Nuvi is a road type GPS I don't know if you can use it for paperless caching. I have a Garmin 60CX which also does not lend itself to paperless caching, but all is not lost. Purchase and older PDA or in my case a pocket PC. You can load the caching information on either one. It is not as convenient as having everything in one spot, but it is sure a lot nicer than carrying around a clipboard with cache pages printed out on them, like I did when I first started caching.

USING EASYGPS TO TRANSFER GEOCACHE WAYPOINTS TO YOUR GARMIN NUVI

This is what works for me (and its free), you may have different results. The process goes by pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 360 (Automotive GPS) a USB Cable and EasyGPS, to transfer coordinates and cache info into my device.

You can do this one cache at a time, or import a bunch of cache waypoints in one session.

As a precaution, I did backup all of the original Nuvi files, but I have not need them: Connect the Nuvi to your PC>Start>Explore>Computer>Garmin Nuvi>Garmin>Copy (The entire folder)>Select a location or make a new folder>Paste

STEP BY STEP

Download EasyGPS: geocaching.com>Resources>Tools and Downloads>Geocaching Software>Windows Applications>EasyGPS>Download.

Connect Garmin to PC via USB cable>close the windows that are automatically opened.

Open EasyGPS>Minimize

Open geocaching.com>Hide & Seek a cache>Seek a cache>by ZIP/Postal Code>Enter your ZIP Code>go.

"All Geocaches" page will open>You can scroll to a desired cache, or click on the "search for caches with Google Maps" link>select a cache.

Click on cache name and go to cache web page.

Reopen EasyGPS.

Adjust the EasyGPS and the geocache web page windows so they are displayed simultaneously. (You can click on the little box next to the red box with the X in the upper right hand corner of the page. This will shrink the page enough to grab its edge by left clicking and dragging the side or top of the page, do this for both).

On the geocache page, click on "Send to GPS">(This opens a dialog window that will find your GPS)>select a save location from the drop down button (I use a ScanDisk SD card borrowed from a camera)>Click on "Write".

You will see a message that reads something like this, "Geocache GCZAD7.gpx saved successfully">close the window.

Right click on the Start Globe at the bottom left of the desktop>explore.

Go to wherever you saved the geocache info you recieved from the geocache web page>Computer>Removable Device>Garmin>gpx (For mine).

Right click on the file named "GCZAD7" (or whatever yours was named)>Rename>(I use the cache name).

Left click on the newly named gpx file>drag into the empty window below the EASYGPS tool bar>(The EasyGPS window should now contain the cache info).

Right click on the geocache info listed at the bottom of the EasyGPS page, below a drop down button showing the title "Geocaches">cut geocache.

Click on the "Geocaches" drop down button and select "Waypoints">Right click in the empty box below the button>Paste.

Right click on the entry>edit waypoint.

In this window you will see a number of boxes, beginning at the top do the following>TYPE: erase>LABEL: enter cache name>DESCRIPTION: you can leave this or erase>WAYPOINT: enter cache name>COMMENT>enter cache hints/info or copy and paste hints/info from the geocache web page. This info will be displayed on the Nuvi below the "Destination Title" next to the "GO" button.>SYMBOL>select one from drop down button>LAT/LON:leave>ELEVATION/LINKS/PHOTOS:I do not use>OK.

Click the "Receive" button on the upper tool bar (This will open a dialog window)>check the "WAYPOINTS" box (do not check the "Geocaches" box, this will import garbled info).

Edit any of the waypoints using the steps described previously.

Go to File>Save As>name the file temp.gpx.

Save the temp.gpx file into your Nuvi's gpx folder>Computer>Garmin Nuvi>Garmin>gpx>save.

Remove your Nuvi from the computer and have fun.

After saving the waypoints in the Nuvi's gpx folder as a "temp.gpx" file, the Nuvi will read the file and incorporate it into a new "current.gpx" file. Nuvi will now display your map (base map, topo map or combo) and your waypoints the next time it loads its maps or powers on. The temp.gpx file will then disappear.

Be well,

hammyaz

Edited by hammyaz

I have a nuvi, as well as a CSx and a 550T, and whilke the nuvi is not the best for caching (if yours is like my 250W) due to the lack of a compass screen, and limited battery life, it will work. As was mentioned, the BEST way to do it is to subscribe to GC.com and get your pocket queries working, then get GSAK and the macro that was also mentioned. Having all the cache information for the caches you seek is even better (I think) than a few feet of accuracy.

I would have recommended an Oregon, Dakota or a CSx for caching, but since you have the Nuvi, make the most of it. I have found a few caches with mine when I have left he others at home or was just in a hurry, and it worked all right. Welcome to the game, and good luck.

I just set my 205W up for paperless and it took me most of an afternoon. I don't have the fastest internet, and the setup on Windows 7 is not as well documented, but possible. You have to be sure to get all paths correct. It is worth it, as I get a big smile when the alert goes off for unfound caches. Also, the satellite screen is helpful, and is accessed by touching the satellite strength indicator (upper left corner on main screen) for a few seconds. The delay threw me at first, and I had to search for the fact you had to hold there for a while.

P.S. I love my Colorado out of the car, and I debated getting the Navigator for it, or a Nuvi. It is hard to beat a wide screen Nuvi with spoken directions for driving. Also, it will hold a lot of caches as custom POI.