Puzzle cache question

AbMagFab

Okay, without giving the specific cache away, I was curious how to go about doing this...

The puzzle, I believe, wants me to convert the provided coordinates to a different datum, I think Tokyo. I tried some on-line tools, but the coordinate checked said I was incorrect.

Any advice for converting coordinates to different datums, specifically Tokyo?

Not trying to be too obscure, but if fizzycalc can't do it, have you tried using Mapsource to convert (Edit>Preferences>Position)? -Or- Maybe there's something else to this puzzle?

Where in fizzycalc can I specify alternate datums? I don't see that anywhere.

I appreciate the suggestions, but every one provided so far doesn't do what I've asked - which is convert from one datum to another. Unless I'm totally missing something?

The only 2 datums that I am aware of are WGS84 and UTM. Of course there may be others I do not know about. Fizzycalc can convert to UTM right on the front page.

There are tons of other datums. I need to convert from from (or to) WGS84 to (or from) one of the Tokyo datums, I believe Tokyo 97.

I don't think UTM is a datum rather it's a different way of representing the same data? Like DD MM.xxx or DD MM SS.xx - they both are identical, just different representations.

Alternative datums are actually off by up to 500 meters or so. Specifically, the Tokyo 97 datum varies from 100 to 500 meters off of WGS 84 at any given location.

This puzzle cache, I think, wants me to convert from WGS 84 to Tokyo 97, or the other way around.

Edited by AbMagFab

AbMagFab, you're correct about there being dozens of datums, although color me surprised the Oregon doesn't include them. I went and checked both Mapsource and my 76 CSx, and they both have a "Tokyo" datum, but not a "Tokyo 97". Google might be your friend here. I can't help you with fizzycalc, as I've not used it. But, in Mapsource, make sure its set to WGS84, then enter the WGS 84 coords as a new waypoint. Do the Edit>preferences>Position thing, and select the Tokyo datum. The coords will then be converted to that datum. To go from Tokyo to WGS84, do the opposite.

One question, has the cache been found yet? I ask as there was a similar puzzle nearby where the CO messed up the conversion on the listing page, and had a bunch of us scratching our heads cuz the checker said we were all wrong.

AbMagFab, you're correct about there being dozens of datums, although color me surprised the Oregon doesn't include them. I went and checked both Mapsource and my 76 CSx, and they both have a "Tokyo" datum, but not a "Tokyo 97". Google might be your friend here. I can't help you with fizzycalc, as I've not used it. But, in Mapsource, make sure its set to WGS84, then enter the WGS 84 coords as a new waypoint. Do the Edit>preferences>Position thing, and select the Tokyo datum. The coords will then be converted to that datum. To go from Tokyo to WGS84, do the opposite.

One question, has the cache been found yet? I ask as there was a similar puzzle nearby where the CO messed up the conversion on the listing page, and had a bunch of us scratching our heads cuz the checker said we were all wrong.

Yes, the cache has been found, but only by 5 people. And the coord checker has 5 corrects, and like 30 incorrects.

Thanks though - that appears to have done it. The 3rd party converters I've been trying over and over again apparently are different than what MapSource does... FWIW, I entered the coords as Tokyo, then changed to WGS84...

Thanks again! I didn't know MapSource could do this (I never use it, and I'm not entirely sure I got it with my Oregon 400t (from BB), which is lame, but it's easy enough to install anyway).