Map management in Garmin 76 Csx

mntnclmbr8

In Map Setup in Settings you can turn on or off all the maps that are loaded in your device from Mapsource BUT they are displayed as the individual tiles, therefore if there is a wide range of coverage, there are hundreds or more entries. I have multiple mapsource products, e.g. City Navigator, Topo USA, and I would like to be able to load them all on my GPS and switch between them depending on where and what I am doing, I have a 8 GB card. Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking if just the mapproduct name showed up in the setup you could easily turn on or off each type of map rather than each individual tile.

Also, I could load them on the device seperately and then change the GMAPSUPP.img to GMAPSUPP2.img or GMAPPROM.img or whaver, but then to switch which set is the default, I need to so back into the card via my computer and rename the one I want to GMAPSUPP.imp. Are there ways to do this via the GPS and no computer?

These functionalities seems like a no-brainer to me, I don't know what Garmin was thinking.

As far as turning products on and off, while you're in the map setup menu, where you see all the individual tiles, if you hit "menu" again it'll bring up a list of installed products. In that menu, you're able to turn products on and off as a whole. I switch between Topo US '08 and City Nav '10 on my 60csx frequently.

All the best.

Ditto to the above, however... Remember that no matter of the size of your SD card, you are still limited to both 4 GB total map file size and 2025 individual tiles, regardless of how many map products you use to create the file. When creating your maps in Mapsource, click the Maps tab and this info will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. HTH!

Q1 for renaming to something more useful :

- google for GPS-Track-Analyse.NET

- For aggregate tiles: Gmaptool

Q2 csx only allows 1x gmapsupp.img. I have a netbook, card reader and half dozen microSD cards...

nb CSX Processor slows down with big mapsets - eg> 1.5 gb and has random problems with Blue Chart /topo mapsets.