vista screen flickers

gitarmac

I did all the updates and a hard reset, and it seemed to help a couple of bugs I had. I notice though that the backlight screen flickers pretty regular, of course it's more noticeable when it's brighter. But it's not as bright as my venture hc.

I am wondering if it's worth the trouble of calling garmin. If it means there is a loose wire, then of course it should be fixed, but if its never going to get worse, then it doesn't really bother me. If that makes any sense.

Does anyone tolerate a slightly flickering vista?

It would definitely bother me and I wouldn't tolerate it. It's only going to get worse from here as it's a cracked/loose wire/connection. You say "if it's never going to get worse"... That's a big IF. My vote is the connection will get worse and worse until you have no backlight at all. This is a hardware issue and no amount of firmware updates will fix it. Have you tried knocking it against your other hand? Any noticeable changes?

It would definitely bother me and I wouldn't tolerate it. It's only going to get worse from here as it's a cracked/loose wire/connection. You say "if it's never going to get worse"... That's a big IF. My vote is the connection will get worse and worse until you have no backlight at all. This is a hardware issue and no amount of firmware updates will fix it. Have you tried knocking it against your other hand? Any noticeable changes?

It doesn't change by tapping it. It seems to be kind of intermittent, at least the more noticable flickers. I really need it right now for my lease mapping, I would hate to send it back and get it back flickering just like it is now. I know there are some led headlamps that flicker somewhat, I thought maybe it was a function of that.

I figured because it was factory refurbished it would have been looked at more closely. It didnt' even have a software update. I have only purchased one handheld gps that did not have to go back, my venture hc. I have sent a rino back, whatever I had before the first venture, and the older venture. It's not like there are any other options either.

I guess I will call garmin this week - again. I would rather not send it back if they don't have an idea of what could really be wrong. I still have a year warrenty, maybe I will keep an eye on it.

I keep reading about flickering backlights but I don't remember the exact details.