Mother Road, Grand Canyon, Utah Canyons

jakiesfolks

Would love some cache suggestions for a trip to the southwest this fall. We'll be taking the old route 66 (as much as possible) from Oklahoma City to Flagstaff and then just do some bumming around the Grand Canyon (especially the north rim) and southern Utah. Caches that have a historical theme or location or off the beaten track, old towns, cemetaries, are what we are most interested in and figure the place to find the best ones is right here from the locals. Can't wait to explore the area. Thanks for your help in advance! W & R

We took a trip around Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim last July. One of my favorites on the way into the North Rim was 2 Lookout 2, Az (GC17KNX) -- its the first time I have climbed up a fire tower. Depending on your route, there are some great cache locations throughout the area -- the Writing on the Wall (GCRNK7) and Butch and Sundance (GCDAB1) seem like something you would enjoy. One of the caches that I have on the top of my "to do" list for that area is One Giant Step (GC7D60). It requires a little planning, but is definitely off the beaten track.

I have three earthcaches on the North Rim that are pending NPS approval. They seem supportive and my contact just let me know that I have not been forgotten. So maybe they will be approved by the time you visit.

Edited by Erickson

Thanks for those suggestions...Butch and Sundance and Writing on the Wall look great...sounds like a couple of others near the B & S one too. Thanks for those suggestions!!! Really appreciate it! Any other suggestions would be appreciated for me list too. Will have to research Earthcaches...sound interesting. Thanks again.

My son attends NAU in Flagstaff. Here are some caches. I haven't visited them all, but I am familar with the area.

Sunset Crater National Monument.

Sunset Crater GC6851

Cinder Lake history GCG7GW

Trudge GCYKD3

Sunset Crater Lava Flow Trail GCZ5GD

Bonito Lava Flow GCZ5H1

Cinder Hills Overlook GCZ5H4

C.O.D. - Spur of the Moment GC1G0HN

Peak 7505 Cinder Cone GC1GA3J

The Killing Moon GC1GJGE

Walnut Canyon Nat Monument (Indian Ruins)

Walnut Canyon National Monument GC6853

Walnut Canyon Geologic Sampling GCZ5H6

Walnut Canyon 0 GC1EV7Y

Wupaki Nat Monument (Indian Ruins & Earth Caches. Off I40)

Wupatki GC6852

Lomaki and Box Canyon Pueblo Earth Cracks GCZ5JD

Wupatki Pueblo Blowhole GCZ5W1

Citadel Sink - Wupatki NM GCZ5W5

Wupatki Ripple Marks GCZ5W7

North of Flagstaff -

GCGARV B-24 Crash Site (WWII crash site Strenuous hike)