mapsource basic questions

i'm sure these have been asked many times, but i can't seem to find the answer by searching either here or google. please bear with me if these have been asked 1,000 times...

1) when i create a new route or upload a track from my 60csx to mapsource, all the waypoints along the way are big black squares. i would like to be able to hide them because when i zoom out or view it in google earth, all i see is a big collage of black squares. how do i hide them? i see that i can change the symbol of a waypoint, but i can't find a way to hide it all together.

2) when looking at a track that i have uploaded, or a route that i have created, the profile function is very handy. but is there a way to get it to spit out the total elevation gain/loss?

1. I'm confused about the question because you talk about load the routes or tracks in MapSource and then you talk about Google Earth. So which is the problem? You can easily change the size of the black squares in Google Earth by clicking on the track points in the left hand column and selecting properties and changing the options there.

2. Not in MapSource I don't think. But there are other tools. Check out GPS TrackMaker.

1) when i create a new route or upload a track from my 60csx to mapsource, all the waypoints along the way are big black squares. i would like to be able to hide them because when i zoom out or view it in google earth, all i see is a big collage of black squares. how do i hide them? i see that i can change the symbol of a waypoint, but i can't find a way to hide it all together.

I think the "squares" that you describe are a feature in google earth, not mapsource. You can make the squares a little smaller, but I haven't found a way to change them.

<tools> <options> click on the 3D view tab and, in that window, select "small" under labels/icon size.

You can turn the track off all together:

<view> turn on the sidebar - a menu will appear on the left of the screen. One of the items on the menu is "Places" and, in that panel is a tree that includes "temporary places" and, under that, "mapsource". Both of those will have a check mark in them - indicating that Google Earth is displaying data that it imported from mapsource. Remove the check mark from the box next to mapsource and the track will not display.

Regarding the "big black squares" in Google Earth (GE);

Right click on Points in the Places sidebar and select Properties. Under Style, Color tab of Properties, reduce the Scale of the Icon to 0.1

You'll still see little dots where the waypoints are, but you won't see the big squares. And you will see a line connecting the dots (path).

There are other ways of importing the track into GE to get just a line, but I assume you want the simple Mapsource view in GE.

Cheers,

Jim

Right click on Points in the Places sidebar and select Properties. Under Style, Color tab of Properties, reduce the Scale of the Icon to 0.1

You'll still see little dots where the waypoints are, but you won't see the big squares. And you will see a line connecting the dots (path).

Thanks for that tip. I just tried it for a hike I did today and it worked (actually, I had to right click on mapsource where it appeared in the tree under Points.

There are other ways of importing the track into GE to get just a line, but I assume you want the simple Mapsource view in GE.

I noticed that, if I set the scale of the icon to 0, all that shows is a line.

1. I'm confused about the question because you talk about load the routes or tracks in MapSource and then you talk about Google Earth. So which is the problem? You can easily change the size of the black squares in Google Earth by clicking on the track points in the left hand column and selecting properties and changing the options there.

sorry about the confusion. the real problem is in mapsource. when i create a route, all of the connecting waypoints on the route show up as a big black square. when i download tracks from my gps, the waypoints also show up as big black squares. what i want to do is change those waypoint symbols to something much smaller or, better yet, be able to turn them off.

as a side effect, when i view those routes or tracks in google earth, the waypoints show up as big black squares.

sorry about the confusion. the real problem is in mapsource. when i create a route, all of the connecting waypoints on the route show up as a big black square. when i download tracks from my gps, the waypoints also show up as big black squares. what i want to do is change those waypoint symbols to something much smaller or, better yet, be able to turn them off.

To be honest, I don't understand your issue - I've never seen squares on tracks in mapsource. Tracks on my computer always display as a series of small, connected black dots, with the selected tract highlighted in yellow and, if a leg within that track is selected, it is highlighted in cyan. I have only seen the large black squares when I view the track in Google Earth.

as a side effect, when i view those routes or tracks in google earth, the waypoints show up as big black squares.

The description above was specific to GE.

Edited by jmundinger