GPS Help

Folks,

It is time for me to get a new GPS. I do paperless right now with my Blackberry but it is not very accurate. I would like your suggestion for the MOST accurate GPS, especially under leaves etc.

I would like to be in about five feet of the spot and have confidence. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Well keep in mind the satellites the global positioning system uses are over 11,000 miles away (!!) it's pretty amazing that average consumer grade GPSr's can get you to within 15-30 feet of whereever you want to go :)

Assuming "military grade" equipment is out of your reach (lol) but you still want HIGH accuracy and price-is-no-object(??) check out the Trimble site

http://www.trimble.com/index.aspx

Here, this one will give you sub-foot accuracy :D

geoxh-2008.jpg

Is there a list of VERY accurate GPS's? Some type of comparison or something?

In the absence of specific guidance on why a more-accurate-than-normal GPS would be useful, I will say (no offense intended) that many people who ask this question are barking up the wrong tree.

An abnormally accurate GPS is a diminishing returns thing unless one is in the military, in construction, cartography, running the DARPA challenge etc. And those folks wouldn't ask here, anyway.

The sat constellation changes constantly, the physical environment of the GPSr changes constantly unless we just sit it down somewhere and leave it. It's very hard to go wrong with a modern handheld. I'd advise the newcomer to: buy a unit with a high-sensitivity receiver, turn on WAAS, and stop looking at the GPS when he gets within 50' of the cache.