Recent Garmin Software Update

I recently was pleased to discover that my nuvi 260w was able to display topo maps. Quite nicely in fact. For a brief time I had beautiful shaded topo maps along with the city navigator street maps. All zoom levels.

Then I updated.

Wednesday this past week I was cleaning up my 260 to loan it to my brother, while online I discovered updates were available for it and the Oregon. When all was done, I was shocked to find both units were messed up. BADDLY MESSED UP.

The nuvi260 is the worst. Topo maps are gone, except at the farthest zoom levels. If I turn off city maps I get contour lines. Big deal! After what I had this sucks!

The Oregon problem isn't so bad. It's just that now, streets from the topo maps are being displayed, even at zoom levels where they are useless. This causes screen draws at 2 and 20mi zoom levels to take 30sec, and 3 minutes respectively.

I've got a preliminary reply from Garmin support, but it was only to observe that topo maps aren't shipped on a 260. No info on how to roll back to an earlier version.

Is there anyone who can help? I believe I have a full file copy back up of both units as they were shipped, but I don't want to try anything with them till I get more info.