Responsibility-An Open Letter

RITrailhikers

An Open Letter to All GeoCoin and TB "Hoarders, Keepers and Violaters":

Dear Hoarders:

I know this has been previously discussed, people taking and not logging, but I think the responsibility factor needs to come into play here. When I see a GeoCoin in a cache, I take care of it like it was my own. I try to take pictures for the owners and do every single time unless I forget my camera. Perhaps what these people who never log or set free GeoCoins, do not realize is that though we are trusting enough to put our GeoCoins out there, they are still our property. Why is it not stealing? I pay sometimes $15.00 for one GeoCoin with shipping, not only for myself, but so others can find them. I mean there is nothing better than finding a GeoCoin or TB in a cache, reading its goal and helping it on its way.

Yesterday my husband and I took the day off of work to go caching. We researched first where we wanted to go, where we could hit at least 5 caches, everyone was said to have TB's and coins. Out of the 4 we found there should have been 8 TB's and GeoCoins, out of 8, there was one! Come on people, it was 5-10 days since the last people were there, plenty of time to log their find!

Can one of you perhaps answer the question as to WHY you take the TB's and GeoCoins and just refuse to log them out of the cache? There are some that have been listed as being in caches for almost one year. I mean people like the TB's, sometimes we go get a cache just to get it and find it is not there. Lately almost every single cache that says it has a TB or GeoCoin has none.

Would you please show even an ounce of responsibility and log or not take the TB's? Right now there is no punishment for doing this, and some say the owners should not e-mail you when you keep our TB's. I disagree, there has to be some type of recourse.

Maybe you are unaware of the time, money and thought many people put into their TB's and GeoCoins, could that be the reason?

There is a little note with almost every GeoCoin, that says if you are not going to log it or help it along on its mission, please do not take it. Do you even read it?

I know myself and others have e-mailed some of you and even offered to pay the postage-anything to get our TB's back, why do you ignore our e-mail requests?

I know it sounds harsh, but to me it is akin to stealing when you keep our TB's and coins.

Please if one of you hoarders reads this, can you explain to me why you do this, maybe I will understand, until then, I think it is just awful.

Thank you!