Custom, Secret or Underground Firmware for 60CSX? :)

Hello there,

A couple days ago I posted this question in different words on the 60CSX Yahoo board. There have been no answer: that forum may be too "serious" for this silly question.

It is silly and yet I can't resist asking:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone developing an alternate firmware version for the 60CSX? Is there an underdround firmware somewhere, a secret version that does everything the firmware is supposed to do?

Suppose you were an engineer at Garmin and you had a 60CSX. Wouldn't you have made your own version of the firmware LONG ago to overcome silly limitations, such as:

- tile limits;

- single img file;

and more?

Is there a "lost firmware" for the 60CSX out there somewhere, the unit's "true firmware"? ;)

Has anyone heard a rumor that there is?

Should there be a rumor that there is?

I know, it's silly, but the question just makes me smile.

Wishing you all a beautiful day.

Andy

Hello there,

A couple days ago I posted this question in different words on the 60CSX Yahoo board. There have been no answer: that forum may be too "serious" for this silly question.

It is silly and yet I can't resist asking:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone developing an alternate firmware version for the 60CSX? Is there an underdround firmware somewhere, a secret version that does everything the firmware is supposed to do?

Suppose you were an engineer at Garmin and you had a 60CSX. Wouldn't you have made your own version of the firmware LONG ago to overcome silly limitations, such as:

- tile limits;

- single img file;

and more?

Is there a "lost firmware" for the 60CSX out there somewhere, the unit's "true firmware"? ;)

Has anyone heard a rumor that there is?

Should there be a rumor that there is?

I know, it's silly, but the question just makes me smile.

Wishing you all a beautiful day.

Andy

This isn't firmware, per se, but if you want to make maps and be able to handle just about everything you want, you can try this site: http://cgpsmapper.com/

It's a bit pricey for the do-everything-you-want version, but it seems quite robust.

I haven't heard of custom firmware mods for the Etrex series, but I'll give a look around. As always, anything you do to modify your hardware is at your own risk, both practically and legally. It's important to respect all manufacturer's proprietary rights, while working to get the hardware you own working in the manner in which you desire.

Alternatively, you could save up and purchase one of the more commercialized GPS solutions, such as Magellan's (Thales) Mobile Mapper, which is a PocketPC/CE based unit, or one of the Trimble GeoExplorer series, also PocketPC/CE based, and which is considered industry-standard for the commercial GPS/GIS industry.

The Magellan solution isn't too expensive as far as these things go, and you can do just about anything you want with it, limited only by available software and your own imagination. Custom layering is child's play with these units, and with that touch screen--it *IS* a PDA, as well, after all!--you can modify images on-the-fly, or at least do so with the computer-side software. I've never used it personally, and am extrapolating from reading available product literature.

Custom hiking trail maps come to mind, and a commercial unit wouldn't give you the limitations of the current crop of consumer-grade GPS equipment. I've always thought we needed a $350-or-below, open sourced (at least for the firmware) solution to accomplish just this kind of task, that of the more tech-savvy consumer who wants to make custom personal maps that will work with a high-resolution, consumer-type of GPS unit, without having to spend $10,000.00 dollars plus to achieve it. (Trimble is up in this price range.)

I wish you well on your research.

Warm Regards from...