ERSI's AEJEE questions

Is anybody here familiar with ESRI's ArcExplorer Java Edition for Education (a/k/a AEJEE)? I have been asked to help a high school science teacher who wants to use this program to map waypoints from the school woods. She has used her Garmin GPS' to mark the locations of various invasive species, and would like to map these for eradication efforts this spring.

The suggested activities from the tutorial don't seem to work, and ESRI won't support it as it is a free program for schools...

Thanks a lot. I am hoping somebody will be able to jump in here and get us going.

cYa, Grandpa Jim, part of the SetonCachers crews from WI

I've had problems with ArcExplorer Java edition the little I've played with it. If you can find AE version 2.0 I think you'll have better luck. It is a nice free program that will work with any free aerial photos your area may offer. Perhaps WI has a GIS clearinghouse to get those. You may also want the free DNR Garmin program that will directly take your GPS data from the Garmin and save it as the ESRI shapefile(s) that will work in AE. Good luck with the project.

I've had success with AEJEE as well. The version I have on my computer (2.3.2) has a tool under the View menu called Add Event Theme. This will read in a comma separated values (CSV) file and display points on the map from the coordinates in the CSV file. So using Excel or Notepad, you can create a file listing the latitude and longitude of the invasive plants. Use decimal degrees when creating the CSV file. If you have any questions about putting together the file, feel free to ask.