Towers of Hanoi

Firemeboy

The forum software will occasionally lose posts that start new threads. Groundspeak has been trying to minimize and solve this problem. Usually, I'll just hide the thread when this happens. Since you're working on a cartridge with this idea, feel free to use this thread to talk about it and share ideas.

I hope the original poster will return and contribute to the thread.

Well, I've got two approaches I'm working with - depends which method I find easier.

Method 1 is the "ugly" version and involves hard coding all the possibilities into massive if--then--else structures in the builder. Yuck

Method 2, once I get my head around it would be to set a "currentzone" variable when the player gets near a "tower" and then use arrays to hold the 'disc' objects. Probably going to require some authorscript on my end to pull this off but I get the wonderful side benefit of making the number of discs a variable.

Method 1 has the bonus that you could have a picture for each combination to illustrate to the user what is going on.

I'm guessing from your comments that you have a separate zone for each tower, so you would only need a set of pictures for each tower, which is probably not that many.

Method 2 is definitely the nicer (from a design point of view), but I do wonder how your going to convey the information to the player. I've tried in the past to order things in the view, e.g. button order, but they have always had a mind of their own.

A third method (not a great solution I admit) which could be done without authorscript might be to use a two digit number variable to represent the location of each disk with the first digit being the tower number and the second digit the position in the tower.