Actual Coordinates

Whiskerjinks

I didn't see this posted...Should we record the actual coordinates for a found benchmark somewhere? At first, I was thinking in the GC.com log entry, but maybe it should be done over on Waymarking..or not at all? Trying to get back into the sport and just was wondering about this.

Howdy Whiskerjinks. Maybe this forum will help some.

Reporting coordinates

Edited by LSUFan

"Whiskerjinks," by all means if you get coordinates that are quite a ways off from the ones listed on Gc.com, make note of that in your log. There's even a special field for adding coordinates to logs. You will probably only find a need for this on some marks where the NGS datasheet had "Scaled" horizontal coordinates. "Adjusted" coordinates should be very accurate. (And most of the time, scaled coords will be pretty good, too.)

On Wm.com, the only marks listed are ones that have been found by Waymarkers, so those people should have supplied quite accurate coordinates when they created the waymark. If you do find a mark whose coordinates are significantly off from the stated ones, you should alert the owner of the waymark.

Patty

thanks for the comments, for now I will probably add my coordinates when logging, if no one else has done so and if they are off from the original listing by more than say 100 feet. This seems helpful, especially when searching around busy overpasses! Would be happy to search out in the country for a change :lol:

-WJ