Trouble for first time Cacher

compasteedee

Hey guys, I'm new to geochaching and I've run across a slight problem. My GPS (Magellan Triton 200) cannot seem to locate the entered geocache. The location is about 5km (2 miles) away from my current location but it says that it is 0.00km away. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Here's what happens:

I get the co ordinance, and enter it in WGS84 Datum, as my GPS is set for . Then when I exit to my main screen it says the cache is at my current location.

What's happening? Can anyone help?

Hey guys, I'm new to geochaching and I've run across a slight problem. My GPS (Magellan Triton 200) cannot seem to locate the entered geocache. The location is about 5km (2 miles) away from my current location but it says that it is 0.00km away. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Here's what happens:

I get the co ordinance, and enter it in WGS84 Datum, as my GPS is set for . Then when I exit to my main screen it says the cache is at my current location.

What's happening? Can anyone help?

Post the GC# of a cache you are trying to find and EXACTLY how those numbers look when entered into your GPS. It sounds like you are using a format different than the GC standard of HDDMM.mmm

Or check your GPS format setting and make sure it's not set to HDD.ddddd or HDDMMSS.s

Geocache:GC3A31

As they appeared on my GPS:

51°07.585'N

114°05.862'W

my GPS is set for DEG/MIN.MMM

and I typed in the DDD MM.MMM Coordinates off the conversion page.

All of this means very little to me as I'm totally green to this but any help would be appreciated

Edited by compasteedee

Geocache:GC3A31

As they appeared on my GPS:

51°07.585'N

114°05.862'W

my GPS is set for DEG/MIN.MMM

and I typed in the DDD MM.MMM Coordinates off the conversion page.

All of this means very little to me as I'm totally green to this but any help would be appreciated

Now you have me totally confused. The coords you have provided are NOT for GC3A31. In fact, those coords are not listed as a Traditional cache anywhere in the GC database. Can you explain these discrepancies?

Sorry, I gave you the wrong coordinance, I was looking at another Cache, and inadvertently gave those instead.

The real ones ( as displayed on my GPS) are:

51°06.531'N

114°05.862'W

and the cache IS: GC3A31

Sorry about that.

You indicate you are set to WGS84. The coords are correct, and in the correct format. All I can think of now is that you have auto routing maps, and have the GPS set to follow roads. Is this possible? If so, you must change to straight line navigation for geocaching. Otherwise, I am out of suggestions.

I know nothing about your particular unit...but let's try some weird questions.

Is this the first time you have used the unit? Did you take it outside and let it acquire a nice lock on some satellites so it knows where it is before adding any coords?

Could you have accidentally changed your "home cords" to the cache cords?

Did you tell your unit to "go to" the cache? (It may be called something else on a Maggie--Do you have it set so that is the active cache).

Is the bearing right, at least? (Is it pointing the right direction)?

Well, being a big dork, I plugged these into Google Maps. Turns out, they're about 2K apart (in a straight line) and 3.2 k apart in real travel. ONe point seems to ba a house, another seems to be the side of the road. Probably what happened was you mis-entered, or switched some numbers around. Even if you accidentally set the cache location as home, it shouldn't read "HERE" unless you are at that location. You probably put in your home number accientally. I've done it. No biggie.