Cordinates in oregon 300

bababuu

You need to create a waypoint and then edit the coordinates. You can use the "Mark Waypoint" tool to create one, or you can use the little "flag on some crosshairs" symbol that sometimes appears at the bottom of the screen to create one.

The flag symbol appears when you are reading the description of a geocache which makes it easy to create a properly named editable Waypoint when hunting a multi-cache or a puzzle cache. It also appears if you click on the Map screen and then click on the bubble at the top of the screen making it easy to quickly create a Waypoint from the map view.

Hi!

Can you type the cordinates manually in oregon, I can´t find it out ?

Have you learned how to create a waypoint? If you can do so and then under its options you should see 'edit waypoint' or something like that. This should bring up a whole list of things you can edit including the coordinates. Once done the waypoint will move off to its true location where you can select and then 'go to' it.

Is it just me or does editing the coordinates really suck on the Oregon?

Even on my good old Gecko I was able to see the entire coordinates at one glance when editing the location of a waypoint. On the Oregon, which has a significantly larger screen, I only see some digits of the coordinates when editing them. Especially annoying when I want to double check that I correctly entered the coordinates of the next stage... Plus I think it is unnecessarily complicated to change between editing digits and scrolling within the coordinates...

Is it just me or does editing the coordinates really suck on the Oregon?

Even on my good old Gecko I was able to see the entire coordinates at one glance when editing the location of a waypoint. On the Oregon, which has a significantly larger screen, I only see some digits of the coordinates when editing them. Especially annoying when I want to double check that I correctly entered the coordinates of the next stage... Plus I think it is unnecessarily complicated to change between editing digits and scrolling within the coordinates...

I wasn't trying to describe how to do the exact edit because I don't have my Oregon yet--maybe later next week. Are you saying that when you are editing a coordiate you cannot scroll back or forward to see the whole coordinate until after you accept the edit? I just came from a Colorado and while still editing you could "scroll" both ways to see your entire edit. I guess there will be forever different things to get use too.

On the Oregon you are able to scroll both ways while editing the coordinates of a waypoint. That is not the problem. The problem is that while editing you never see the entire coordinate at a glance (From what you are writing I guess it probably is the same on the Colorado).

So here is what usually happens when I edit a waypoint:

- First I scroll to the right until I hit the first digit I like to edit

- Then I change from scrolling mode to editing mode

- After editing the digit I change back to scrolling mode and scroll to the next digit I would like to enter, ...

- Since I am not able to see the entire coordinates while doing this, I usually end up scrolling through the entire coordinates after editing them to double check whether I entered them correctly

While editing waypoints on my Gecko, however, I was able to see the entire coordinates all the time. The screen of the Gecko is at most one third of the size of the Oregons screen!

On the Oregon you are able to scroll both ways while editing the coordinates of a waypoint. That is not the problem. The problem is that while editing you never see the entire coordinate at a glance (From what you are writing I guess it probably is the same on the Colorado).

- After editing the digit I change back to scrolling mode and scroll to the next digit I would like to enter, ...

- Since I am not able to see the entire coordinates while doing this, I usually end up scrolling through the entire coordinates after editing them to double check whether I entered them correctly

While editing waypoints on my Gecko, however, I was able to see the entire coordinates all the time. The screen of the Gecko is at most one third of the size of the Oregons screen!

I understand now. I suppose it does suck too but I think you'll get use to it and hope this is the biggest Oregon issue you get through--and me too--except I already know of some other possible things.

I understand now. I suppose it does suck too but I think you'll get use to it and hope this is the biggest Oregon issue you get through--and me too--except I already know of some other possible things.

I feel your pain! I was a bit surprised at the rather primitive way they implemented this on the Oregon as well. They have plenty of real estate to do better, but they need to rethink that screen. I think their primary goal was to get this out the door based on their standard existing input screens that they use in other parts of the Oregon and to be able to type coordinates in the various supported "Position Formats" that the user can choose without having to invent custom screens for each. Expedient, but not helpful.

A couple of helpful tips to make it a little faster...

• There is a little "<" arrow on the top right next to the coordinates. This isn't a delete button, it is simply a "move one position to the left, wrapping around to the end" arrow. So, if you can stomach typing the coordinates in backwards you can at least avoid switching modes between scrolling and editing mode while modifying the coordinates.
  • You do have the option to type the entire coordinate rather than to just move to the digits that are wrong. This could save a few mode transitions. Unfortunately the default screen has no N or W on it so if you use the typical hdddmm.mmm format then you either need to toggle to scroll mode to move past the N and W or you have to switch to the alpha input screen to retype them. :unsure:

Judging from how much they can fit on the alphabet input screen it definitely looks like they have enough screen real estate to have both coordinates visible, ability to select the set of digits to edit directly rather than with arrows, and room for buttons for 0-9,.,NSWE,+, and -. You'd need different setups to enter coordinates in other "position notation" formats, though, but the primary one that I imagine most people use (hddd mm.mmm) could be much more useful than what they have...