Preventing Emulator,CO Demo mode + securing final coordinates

gereta

Hi all,

I would like to share few of "techniques" I put into my code to protect coordinates in emulator or CO demo mode. Nothing special - some of them was already mentioned in this forum

Emulator & CO demo mode

I have one zone where user is asked to enter (manually) a numeric value located on one of the objects in the zone.

This value (input) is used in formula for final coordinates calculation. Without being "on site" there is no chance to guess the number. (there is nowhere in code the correct number (debugging will not help) - coordinates will be shown at the end, but they will be wrong unless right number was entered)

CO demo mode

You can set in first zone an "active, but not visible" second zone and ask player to go to an object (building for example) in this second zone. In CO demo mode when there in not active location player don't see "GO" button. So he is in dead lock. (when the player is "on site" he walks toward the object (enters the second zone) and in this case next one is activated and visible... and rest is as usual...

CO demo mode

Easy way, but not always possible is put invisible zone between two zones where is no path in between.

(the player in real life can not go trough this zone)

CO demo is always going straight forward so when player in navigating in demo mode he hits this "cheat zone" and you can terminate cartrige and display alert about cheating.. :-)

Emulator

Detecting Device ID, but this can be quite easy changed with hex editor. but anyway not everyone is computer freak! :-)

Please comment drawbacks or share what you are using to secure cartridge.

Any suggestions and comments appriciated.

Edited by gereta

Emulator & CO demo mode

I have one zone where user is asked to enter (manually) a numeric value located on one of the objects in the zone.

This value (input) is used in formula for final coordinates calculation. Without being "on site" there is no chance to guess the number. (there is nowhere in code the correct number (debugging will not help) - coordinates will be shown at the end, but they will be wrong unless right number was entered)

I don't follow what you mean here.. about no where in the code etc. could you explain that bit please..?

Emulator & CO demo mode

I don't follow what you mean here.. about no where in the code etc. could you explain that bit please..?

Player is not selecting answer from multiple choices, but is asked to enter the number (in my case year painted on the building) manually. In builder is used input type "Text" (not multiple choices or True/False). This player input is then used for coordinates calculation formula.

Silly example (only for demonstation): North = 48 + (0.3456)*PlayerInputVariable

East = 22+(7654/PlayerInputVariable)*0.0256

This mean that coordinates which are displayed as location of cache are based on this input (variable).

In this case if someone is debbuging code there is no "if variable = value" in the code so there is no way to find out what are possible options or correct value.

Hope it's clear now.

Edited by gereta

noice.. very noice :-)

I follow, and I can code outside of the builder though the formula's inside the .lua I would need to do some play

ing to work that out.. could you post a .lua or some relevant code for all mentioned, that would be most appreciated.

noice.. very noice :-)

I follow, and I can code outside of the builder though the formula's inside the .lua I would need to do some play

ing to work that out.. could you post a .lua or some relevant code for all mentioned, that would be most appreciated.

OK.

I just created simple cartridge. See attached file. How the output coordinates differ is how "scalable" output the formula for calculating generates. (this one is not too good because small difference in entered year generates only small difference in output coordinates - some exponencial function would be better)

There is only one zone. When you enter the zone function GetInput is called and you will be asked to enter the year on the building in front of you (it's just virtual - so put any year you like) when OK is pressed message is generated with "cache" coordinates.

In "real" cartridge you can include in calculation answer from more questions so this will give quite complex formula.

I hope it helps.

Emulator & CO demo mode

I get the concept behind this one, but doing it is another matter. I don't see anything in the builder that would help, do you have to write the script yourself? Can someone give me step by step instructions?

Yes, it's a custom script thing.

Here's a simple example. Let's say the number 8 is on a telephone pole. The player would enter 8 into the input and Wherigo would multiply that number by 5.82025 to get 46.562 and add 8*3 to get 46.586, the minutes in the north coordinates.

I also discussed pseudo text encryption a while back. Recently, I have heard the Oregon crashes when this is used. As I don't know anyone with an Oregon, I can't try a few things to update the script.