Nokia N78

Having gone ahead and got the N78 a week ago I can now answer my own question - in case anyone else might be interested. And it is a big thumbs up to it as an integrated, all-in-one, all-that-you-need, caching machine - this based on using Trimble Navagiator as caching software.

I have only done 3 caches with it so far but these were all done in the field, 'on the fly' without any prior prep. The GPSr (actualy A-GPSr) picked up a signal very quickly and the 'quick cache' function rapidly identified the nearest cache. Being able to read the cache page and logs there and then made for very easy caching. The GPSr accuracy seemed fine and being able to look at the cache position on Nokia maps helps to give a good, high level indicator of where you are aiming - so long as you are near a road, Memory Map it ain't! Arrow consistency was good and each time it took me straight to the cache, and ready access to the hint can obviously be very beneficial! Push of a button to log the cache direct to GC.com is quite a neat feature - wifey would have loved to have had it for her weekend excursion around the Chiltern 100s!

Haven't used the 'phone enough to comment on battery life but it seems good enough for how i will be using it- Nokia site quotes stand by time of 320 hours and talk time of 4 and a bit. Key pad is not to every ones liking - it gets slated in some reviews - but I have been getting along fine with it.

I will need to invest in some sort of strap\case for it as just carrying it in your hand isn't always practical and putting it in your pocket looses connectivity.

Still early days but so far I am very pleased with it as it is doing all that I hoped and doing it well. Happy to anser any queries anyone else might have but nothing too techie please!

Nick AKA Daddy Leprechaun