Demo mode detection

vphakli

Device ID check won't work. It's actually running on the Colorado so it will return Colorado as expected. But in Demo mode the user can basically do just like in the emulator and 'virtually' move from zone to zone.

As far as I know, there is currently no method to detect that a Colorado user has placed it into Demo mode.

Device ID check won't work. It's actually running on the Colorado so it will return Colorado as expected. But in Demo mode the user can basically do just like in the emulator and 'virtually' move from zone to zone.

As far as I know, there is currently no method to detect that a Colorado user has placed it into Demo mode.

That is my experience also. It works with emulator but not in CO demo mode. I think if it is possible to check player's longitude or latitude some way... if it is different when GPS is on/off? Any ideas?

Oh, that. Put an invisible zone between two destinations. If the user does not cross this zone en route to the destination zone, the user is clearly in demo mode. It's like an invisible line you have to cross because everyone takes that route. When the user crosses the line, flag a variable. When the user enters the destination zone, check for the flag and do what you will.

Oh, that. Put an invisible zone between two destinations. If the user does not cross this zone en route to the destination zone, the user is clearly in demo mode. It's like an invisible line you have to cross because everyone takes that route. When the user crosses the line, flag a variable. When the user enters the destination zone, check for the flag and do what you will.

Ok, thanks. This could be the solution.

Ok, thanks. This could be the solution.

Yes exactly in this way I did it couple of weeks ago. But I'm facing to another issue. When demo mode is detected I'll display alert message to user, play alert sound, set variable indicating that demo mode has been detected and save&exit cartridge. But when saved cartridge is loaded again I would like to test if the sloaded game "is save from demo mode" and it seems that variable I set before save is not saved (stored). I do the check in OnStart function.

Is content of variables saved and restored when loading cartrige? (I assume thet these are initialized at the beggining)

Or how to manage this?

Any help appriciated. Thanks.

Edited by gereta

I just experimented with running my Wherigo that is under development in Garmin Demo mode on the CO and found that the OnEnter event for the first zone didn't fire when it zeroed out. It works fine in real (WAAS) mode.

Is this actually an effective trap (i.e. without resorting to this invisible zone technique) or is there something wrong with my setup?

Thanks for any input