"Slow Refresh" eTrex Venture HC

I have had for over 7 years a Garmin eTrex Legend. It's having it's own issues right now, and randomly shuts off. So I am borrowing a friends Garmin eTrex Venture HC. He bought this because it seemed similar to my Legend, but with color screen, and a high-sensitivity receiver. I have to admit- I don't like this GPSr. On top of Pike's Peak, best view of the sky ever- this thing seems to refresh itself VERY slowly. I would do my traditional "walk away and return" to get a straight shot at a cache, and the arrow would be pointing behind me for 30 seconds, then would suddenly flip. At least with my legend, I could switch to map mode to get a good idea of where something was; but the Venture HC doesn't seem to zoom in enough. Is there a way to speed up this things "refresh" rate- if that's even the proper term. I know it has happened when my GPSr was working, and I'd cache with the Venture's owner. Pretty frustrating!

. I have to admit- I don't like this GPSr. On top of Pike's Peak, best view of the sky ever- this thing seems to refresh itself VERY slowly. I would do my traditional "walk away and return" to get a straight shot at a cache, and the arrow would be pointing behind me for 30 seconds, then would suddenly flip.

I bought the Venture HC a few months ago and had the same problem with the pointer lag. It was far slower than my old basic Etrex (Yellow) and GPS60 (Yellow). I returned the unit for a full refund and then purchased the Vista HCX with the electronic compass. I wonder if all of the H series without the electronic compass (Etrex H - Summit HC - Venture HC) have the same problem.

I telephoned customer support about the issue, and their advice was to upload the latest firmware and do a hard reset (Neither worked !!)

Regards Tarot

Nice- I don't want to mess with his firmware- since I'm out of town and he isn't here. That and I'd have to track down a cable to do so. I'm going to have to purchase a new GPSr myself soon- and I'm leaning towards getting another legend. Despite it's b/w screen, I know how well I worked with my old one. Unless I can fix his to my liking, I certainly won't be buying a Venture HC anytime soon.