76csx map sets

i have a 76csx & changed out the sd 512 card to a 2gb. i can now build larger map sets but lose much of the detail when i mix map types, i.e. blue charts with us topo or canada topo doesn't work? none of the map sets exceed 2000 maps.

also i can't copy & paste to the garmin folder off the 2gb card like i was able to do on the smaller card. i lose the way points & detail.

any help ?

paul

Edited by pjcaruso

i have a 76csx & changed out the sd 512 card to a 2gb. i can now build larger map sets but lose much of the detail when i mix map types, i.e. blue charts with us topo or canada topo doesn't work?

You can only see one map product at a time. You have to hide the ones you don’t want to see so that you can see the ones that are “underneath”. Have you tried that? Map Page>MENU>Setup Map>select the icon that is an “i” in a circle>MENU>select Hide (map product name). Hide everything except Topo, or everything except Blue Charts, and see what happens.

also i can't copy & paste to the garmin folder off the 2gb card like i was able to do on the smaller card. i lose the way points & detail.
I don’t really understand what you’re saying. You should be able to copy data to and from the card the same as with a smaller one. Waypoints aren’t stored on the card, so they should not be affected. If you think some of your waypoints are missing try FIND>Waypoints>MENU>Find By Name. Or did you mean custom POI, which can be stored on the card?

i have a 76csx & changed out the sd 512 card to a 2gb. i can now build larger map sets but lose much of the detail when i mix map types, i.e. blue charts with us topo or canada topo doesn't work?

You can only see one map product at a time. You have to hide the ones you don’t want to see so that you can see the ones that are “underneath”. Have you tried that? Map Page>MENU>Setup Map>select the icon that is an “i” in a circle>MENU>select Hide (map product name). Hide everything except Topo, or everything except Blue Charts, and see what happens.

I don’t really understand what you’re saying. You should be able to copy data to and from the card the same as with a smaller one. Waypoints aren’t stored on the card, so they should not be affected. If you think some of your waypoints are missing try FIND>Waypoints>MENU>Find By Name. Or did you mean custom POI, which can be stored on the card?

i can hide the maps as u suggest but this defeats the purpose of installing the larger card. i.e. i'm traveling through or & wa then on to bc & to ak & need all the maps visible. i was able to view all the products when i used smaller map sets on the 512 card without having to hide any maps. ?

i can still copy & paste but with the 512 card i kept all the mapsets on the card & copied & pasted to the garmin folder as needed & only changed the way points via mapsource. waypoints & detail are in the adm file on my 76. this doesn't work anymore. i also updated the 76 with the latest firmware 3.7. could that be the problem ??

i can hide the maps as u suggest but this defeats the purpose of installing the larger card. i.e. i'm traveling through or & wa then on to bc & to ak & need all the maps visible.

It seems that you may not be correctly understanding about hiding the maps. Hiding Topo or Blue Charts won’t prevent you from seeing City Navigator in WA, BC or AK. What you hide (a map product) is a type of map, not a geographical area. You just won’t see Topo or Blue Charts while you are seeing and using City Navigator.

Hiding a map product (type) doesn’t mean it’s then hidden forever. You go back to the same menu and the option available for hidden map sets will be Show (map product). When you need Topo or Blue Charts, you use the same menu operation to hide City Navigator and show the one you want to see.

I don’t see why you would need to see Blue Charts when you’re driving, or City Navigator if you’re on the water. The benefit of the larger card is that you can load maps to cover more area. I don’t understand why hiding a set of maps that you don’t need while you aren’t using them would defeat the purpose.

i was able to view all the products when i used smaller map sets on the 512 card without having to hide any maps. ?
The only way that can happen is if the maps don’t overlap. Either that or you must be misinterpreting something, because it just doesn’t work that way. There is a hierarchy to the way the unit shows different map products, and the one “on top” hides anything that is “underneath” it.

i can still copy & paste but with the 512 card i kept all the mapsets on the card & copied & pasted to the garmin folder as needed & only changed the way points via mapsource.
Sure. There is no reason why using a bigger card would change that.

waypoints & detail are in the adm file on my 76. this doesn't work anymore.
This is the first time I’ve ever heard of an adm file. I’m not aware that’s anything that a Garmin unit uses. Can you give more information about that? How was it created? Where did it come from? Detailed maps are stored in gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder on the card. Waypoints on the 76 series are stored in internal memory only. They are not in any file on the card.

i also updated the 76 with the latest firmware 3.7. could that be the problem ??

I don’t think so. I haven't seen anyone else report anything like this with it.
i can hide the maps as u suggest but this defeats the purpose of installing the larger card. i.e. i'm traveling through or & wa then on to bc & to ak & need all the maps visible.

It seems that you may not be correctly understanding about hiding the maps. Hiding Topo or Blue Charts won’t prevent you from seeing City Navigator in WA, BC or AK. What you hide (a map product) is a type of map, not a geographical area. You just won’t see Topo or Blue Charts while you are seeing and using City Navigator.

Hiding a map product (type) doesn’t mean it’s then hidden forever. You go back to the same menu and the option available for hidden map sets will be Show (map product). When you need Topo or Blue Charts, you use the same menu operation to hide City Navigator and show the one you want to see.

I don’t see why you would need to see Blue Charts when you’re driving, or City Navigator if you’re on the water. The benefit of the larger card is that you can load maps to cover more area. I don’t understand why hiding a set of maps that you don’t need while you aren’t using them would defeat the purpose.

i was able to view all the products when i used smaller map sets on the 512 card without having to hide any maps. ?
The only way that can happen is if the maps don’t overlap. Either that or you must be misinterpreting something, because it just doesn’t work that way. There is a hierarchy to the way the unit shows different map products, and the one “on top” hides anything that is “underneath” it.

i can still copy & paste but with the 512 card i kept all the mapsets on the card & copied & pasted to the garmin folder as needed & only changed the way points via mapsource.
Sure. There is no reason why using a bigger card would change that.

waypoints & detail are in the adm file on my 76. this doesn't work anymore.
This is the first time I’ve ever heard of an adm file. I’m not aware that’s anything that a Garmin unit uses. Can you give more information about that? How was it created? Where did it come from? Detailed maps are stored in gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder on the card. Waypoints on the 76 series are stored in internal memory only. They are not in any file on the card.

i also updated the 76 with the latest firmware 3.7. could that be the problem ??

I don’t think so. I haven't seen anyone else report anything like this with it.

i understand what hiding & showing maps do. what i'm reacting to is i didn't need to do this until i installed the 2gb card. i found this problem via several of my routes that use overlapped us & canada topos + blue charts. garmin must think this is a problem because their tech support is recreating the problems i'm having to figure out a solution. to me this is a problem & that's what counts!

on my 76 each mapset generates three file types. img, gpx & adm. gpx & adm are the way point & route descriptors. obviously i'm no garmin file structures expert but they must come from mapsource & get created each time u download to the 76. how else would the way points & routes get changed like the map img file does? that's what's in the garmin folder, go look @ them.

i understand what hiding & showing maps do. what i'm reacting to is i didn't need to do this until i installed the 2gb card. i found this problem via several of my routes that use overlapped us & canada topos + blue charts. garmin must think this is a problem because their tech support is recreating the problems i'm having to figure out a solution.
If they are, then I must have misunderstood the problem. Maybe Garmin can come up with an answer for you.

on my 76 each mapset generates three file types. img, gpx & adm. gpx & adm are the way point & route descriptors. obviously i'm no garmin file structures expert but they must come from mapsource & get created each time u download to the 76. how else would the way points & routes get changed like the map img file does? that's what's in the garmin folder, go look @ them.

I’m not interested in arguing about this; but for the record, the Garmin folder on my card contains only one file: gmapsupp.img. I have both routes and waypoints that I sent to the unit from MapSource. No adm and no gpx. There are gpx files on the card, but they are not in the Garmin folder. The gpx files are created from logging tracks to the card. Maybe the adm file comes from Blue Charts, which I don’t have.

If Garmin comes up with a solution, please report back. I’d be very interested. Good luck.