Geocoin / Travel Bug Protocol

choxi

Hi all,

Have just started caching and have two questions:

1. When a cache has two travel bugs, or a bug and a geocoin, or two coins, does one generally take both of them? It seems to me it would be nicer to take one, and leave one for someone else to find.

2. Once one has found a travel bug or geocoin, is the proper thing to do to collect them, or to place them in other caches to be found by others so they travel some more?

Thanks very much for this guidance, love geocaching!

1. You can take as many as you feel you can help in their stated mission in a reasonable period of time. I usually will only take one or two from a cache and then not take any more from caches until I move the two that I have in my possession. I will also take all travel bugs and coins I find from any cache which has doesn't get frequent visits (either due to remote location or a puzzle cache) -- so as to rescue them from an inactive location.

2. Travels bugs and coins are NOT swag and you most certainly you should not keep or collect them. They belong to the original owner who set them into the wild. As a cacher, your mission is to expeditiously find them, determine if you can help them in their stated goal, and them move them quickly to another cache which is closer to that goal. IF you can't do this in an timely manner, you can "discover" them instead and then leave them in the current cache for the next individual to find and move.