Able to route in Mapsource, but not 60csx

I have city navigator on my computer (mapsource) and I have it on my 60csx.

I loaded a bunch of GPS waypoints for beaches in Hawaii. I was able to create a route in mapsource to go from one beach to another. When I try to create the same route on my 60csx it fails and tells me "Route calculation error."

Any ideas on where I should start. I am guessing it is something simple that I am missing or doing wrong?

Another thing....when I try and transfer the route from mapsource to google earth, the route shows up in GE as a straight line, NOT following the road as it did in mapsource.

Thanks.

1. Route calculation error.

Q. Are you able to drive to that beach from where you are?

Q. As in on the same island?

Because if you aren't, you'll get that error in the GPS. Best to have your route waypoints get you to the parking area, not the beach.

2. Routes in MapSource and your GPS are just a list of waypoints and via points, so that is what is showing up in Google Earth. Tracks, on the other hand, are the path you are looking for. Start with this and we'll see if we can get you to the beach.

Edited by coggins

2. Routes in MapSource and your GPS are just a list of waypoints and via points, so that is what is showing up in Google Earth. Tracks, on the other hand, are the path you are looking for. Start with this and we'll see if we can get you to the beach.

Mapsource believes I can drive to the beach. Mapsource creates a route, which looks good when shown on the map. Takes recognized streets and puts you at the waypoint marker. Seems strange that a route can be created in Mapsource, but then not on the GPS unit.

The two wayponts I chose were both on the same island.

Can I create a track in mapsource or on the GPS. I thought tracks are what you record when actually moving with gps in hand?

Edited by superduty1

Do you have the map segments for that part of the country loaded in your GPS unit?

As to the Google Earth question, are you using the link within MapSource that reads "View in Google Earth"? Or are you getting the route into GE some other way?

Map sections are loaded into GPS. I reloaded them in just to make sure. Hawaii is comprised of one segment so it was easy.

Also, I indeed had the autorouting checkbox checked when I loaded the maps (and when I reloaded the maps).

As far as getting them into GE, I am using the view in GE from the pulldown menus.

UPDATE: FWIW, it seems as though the 60csx is trying to route me from CA then to HI and then specifically from beach 1 to beach 2. I dont know this for sure, but I am guessing.

When I create a route in the 60csx, will the unit always try and route you from your currect location?

To create the route, I went into ROUTES, "select next point" is highlighted so I hit enter, then chose the first waypoint [beach 1], then i chose the second waypoint [beach 2].

OK, I just tried to create a route which is here in CA, even though I thought I told the 60csx to go from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2, it started me at my current location. Is there a way to create a route like it can be created in mapsource...whereby you go from waypoint to waypoint not from your current location. For example, lets say I wanted to give someone directions from one point to another, but not starting from the point I was at.

Thanks

Edited by superduty1

UPDATE: FWIW, it seems as though the 60csx is trying to route me from CA then to HI and then specifically from beach 1 to beach 2. I dont know this for sure, but I am guessing.

That's what it's doing, it's trying to get you to the start of your route from where you are currently. So are looking to simulate the route.

1. Go to the Main Menu.
  2. Select Satellite.
  3. Press the Menu button.
  4. Select Use With GPS Off.
  5. The display will say GPS is Off.
  6. Press the Menu button again.
  7. Select New Location.
  8. Select Use Map.
  9. Scroll the map display until you get to your beach 1 waypoint.
  10. Press enter.
  11. Now try runing your route.
  12. When you select Navigate, a window will show up where you select Turn Demo Mode On, select that.
  13. If you have your routing set up for prompted, select Follow Road.
  14. Your GPS will calculate the route.
  15. A window will show that says Do you want to simulate driving this route? Select Yes.
  16. Your GPS will start driving the route as if you are there.

Edited by coggins

coggins,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of setting, USE WITH GPS OFF. I will try that when I get home from work.

Is it possible to create the route, by simply selecting 2 waypoints, and NOT going to the map and choosing a NEW LOCATION?

Can I just go to ROUTE. NEW ROUTE. and then input two different waypoints?

I will experiment. thanks again.

Mapsource believes I can drive to the beach. Mapsource creates a route, which looks good when shown on the map. Takes recognized streets and puts you at the waypoint marker. Seems strange that a route can be created in Mapsource, but then not on the GPS unit.

The two wayponts I chose were both on the same island.

Can I create a track in mapsource or on the GPS. I thought tracks are what you record when actually moving with gps in hand?

MapSource will create tracks, there's a menu item for that. I believe that you can just type the letter T on your keyboard to get the pencil tool.

As written, a Route is just a collection of (in this case) your two waypoints. MapSource has autorouted this for you and is displaying that. When you send it to Google Earth, it doesn't see that autoroute info that MapSource has provided, just the Route date that includes your two waypoints. You have to have Google Earth also autoroute this to see what you are seeing in MapSource. To do this (in Windows), Right click on your beach 1 waypoint and select directions from here, and then on you beach 2 waypoint and select directions to here. In the Search panel, under the directions tab, click on the magnifying glass to get you directions

Edited by coggins

coggins,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of setting, USE WITH GPS OFF. I will try that when I get home from work.

Is it possible to create the route, by simply selecting 2 waypoints, and NOT going to the map and choosing a NEW LOCATION?

Can I just go to ROUTE. NEW ROUTE. and then input two different waypoints?

I will experiment. thanks again.

You can create the route, but if you try to navigate the route you will get the same error as your GPS will try to get you to the start of the route.

Edited by coggins