Need gsak for dummeys

hello I am new to this hobby (obsession) . I have a map60csx and handspring visor with cachmate. I am using gsak to load PQs ( I have this much figured out.) My troubles come when I hotsynk to gsak,I see no response on screen, or maybe I dont know where to find it. I just downloaded my gps to gsak and now I have double entries for each cache,I guess I should have dumped gsak first. GSAK seems to be a wonderful program but it does about 10,000 things more than the non programmer like me can deal with.SO can anybody dumb it down for me with a step by step process that will ease my flustrations.Also PLEASE DO NOT point me to ANY of the GSAK HELP links I have read them till my eyes crossed,IE.load cachemat logs and finds,use cm2gpx file. OK how do I find or make this file? Please do not take offense to my post,I know I may not have worded this P.C. PS I was going to ask this on the GSAK forum but there was no one there that I could see. Thanks in advance for any help

hello I am new to this hobby (obsession) . I have a map60csx and handspring visor with cachmate. I am using gsak to load PQs ( I have this much figured out.) My troubles come when I hotsynk to gsak,I see no response on screen, or maybe I dont know where to find it. I just downloaded my gps to gsak and now I have double entries for each cache,I guess I should have dumped gsak first. GSAK seems to be a wonderful program but it does about 10,000 things more than the non programmer like me can deal with.SO can anybody dumb it down for me with a step by step process that will ease my flustrations.Also PLEASE DO NOT point me to ANY of the GSAK HELP links I have read them till my eyes crossed,IE.load cachemat logs and finds,use cm2gpx file. OK how do I find or make this file? Please do not take offense to my post,I know I may not have worded this P.C. PS I was going to ask this on the GSAK forum but there was no one there that I could see. Thanks in advance for any help

1. Load PQ into GSAK

2. Use GSAK to export to palm.

3. Use palm install (hot sync) to move export to palm

GSAK is silent here since it is not involved in the process

4. Import to cachmate on palm

5. go caching, loging finds on palm

6. come home and export logs on cachemate.

7. use hot sync to move found logs to pc

GSAK is silent here since it is not involved in the process.

8. use cachematelogging.gsk (GSAK macro) to log finds and update found data base.

For a start try here . The article uses express logger, which is okay, I just prefer cachmatelogging.gsk since it is more intergrated. (besides, I'm biased)

cm2gpx is loaded when you install GSAK. It is found in the GSAK directory.

If you go to the GSAK forum, General Topics there are many that will jump in and help you. Just ask your questions. linky .

Digest this for a while and come back for more questions.

Jim

Edited by jholly

1. Load PQ into GSAK

2. Use GSAK to export to palm.

3. Use palm install (hot sync) to move export to palm

GSAK is silent here since it is not involved in the process

4. Import to cachmate on palm

5. go caching, loging finds on palm

6. come home and export logs on cachemate.

7. use hot sync to move found logs to pc

GSAK is silent here since it is not involved in the process.

8. use cachematelogging.gsk (GSAK macro) to log finds and update found data base.

For a start try here . The article uses express logger, which is okay, I just prefer cachmatelogging.gsk since it is more intergrated. (besides, I'm biased)

cm2gpx is loaded when you install GSAK. It is found in the GSAK directory.

If you go to the GSAK forum, General Topics there are many that will jump in and help you. Just ask your questions. linky .

Digest this for a while and come back for more questions.

Jim

Thanks for the quick reply. Your step 6 export logs on cachmate. Does that involve more than just turning on palm and hitting hotsnc button???

In cachemate there is an export option. (when the caches are listed hit the cachemate in the upper left corner, select export logs). This moves the found caches to memos. You then hot sync. The memos are updated on the pc and cachematelogging picks them up from there.

I generally delete the found logs in cachemate and delete all memos after the export. I also maintain my found caches in a separate database in GSAK.

Jim

In cachemate there is an export option. (when the caches are listed hit the cachemate in the upper left corner, select export logs). This moves the found caches to memos. You then hot sync. The memos are updated on the pc and cachematelogging picks them up from there.

I generally delete the found logs in cachemate and delete all memos after the export. I also maintain my found caches in a separate database in GSAK.

Jim

when i list all or list found and hit the cachmate upper left I get no response no options at all. cachemate seems to work perfectly otherwise do I need to reload it or what thanks for your help and patiences.

Jim

when i list all or list found and hit the cachmate upper left I get no response no options at all. cachemate seems to work perfectly otherwise do I need to reload it or what thanks for your help and patiences.

OK I found the export menu it is down in the lower left corner by the grafitti screen cant really tell what the icon is supposed to be .Its getting late I need to get to bed, now I can sleep so I will see what I can do tommorrow. THANK YOU so much for your help. I knew the was someone out the with the heart of a teacher, Thanks again Dennis.