Duplicate Waypoints

I have a Garmin 60Cx, and routinely move waypoints back and forth between my computer and the GPS. For instance, I'll adjust the coordinates on the computer via maps then reload to the GPS, or I'll average coordinates in the field, then load them back onto the computer so the set there is current.

The problem I'm having is that *some* waypoints don't overwrite the GPS waypoint when I do the transfer. My understanding was that if I have a waypoint called "HOME" in the batch transferred, this will overwrite a waypoint on the GPS with the same name. Worked for a couple years on my 60C with no problems.

Now I've got some that don't overwrite when I transfer them to the GPS. Instead, it will create a second waypoint called "HOME 1" with the same coordinates. Then I've got essentially duplicate waypoints with slightly different names taking up space. Why does this happen...and why only for a handful of waypoints? What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Don't think you are missing anything. On my 60CSx, waypoints loaded with the exact same name and spacing as an exisiting waypoint have always created a new waypoint with the 1 suffix. As far as I know, I don't believe I have ever seen it overwrite on my 60CSx. For this reason I usually just upload revised GPS waypoint file to computer, delete all waypoints on GPS, add revised GPS waypoints to appropriate Mapsoruce waypoint file, and redownload all waypoints to GPS.

That's interesting. I've been deleting the waypoints when I remember to do it, but it's kind of annoying when I forget. Most it does overwrite. I think my current tally is a little over 700--it probably duplicates only about 10-15 of those.

Thanks for the response and information.

Edited by andylphoto