Getting tracks back onto computer?

Thanks to ibycus, I was able to use my GPS (garmin Legend Hcx) on a 1000 mile motorcycle trip-each day, I'd save that track in the menu. Now that I'm home, I'd like to be able to download those tracks to my macbook, or put them in google maps or someplace....how do I go about doing that??? Do I need another program to pull them off?

Thanks..new at this.

Thanks to ibycus, I was able to use my GPS (garmin Legend Hcx) on a 1000 mile motorcycle trip-each day, I'd save that track in the menu. Now that I'm home, I'd like to be able to download those tracks to my macbook, or put them in google maps or someplace....how do I go about doing that??? Do I need another program to pull them off?

Thanks..new at this.

I presume that your Legend Hcx came with a copy of MapSource. You can download the track by connecting the gpsr to your computer and using that program. MapSource has a send/receive function for transferring waypoints, tracks and routes back and forth between your computer and the gpsr. MapSource also has a routine that will allow you to view what is displayed in MapSource in GoogleEarth (assuming that GoogleEarth is installed on your computer).

Thanks..new at this.

You can use Garmin's BobCat to get the saved tracks from your GPSr, MapSource works on Windows PC's.

When you save your active track to the unit, it will strip the data from the active file. To avoid this, have the unit save to the datacard.

As you have a microSD card for your maps, you will want to set up your tracks as such:

1. Go to the Main Menu
  2. Select Tracks
  3. Select Setup
  4. Select the Data Card Setup button
  5. Select the check box at the top for Log Track To Data Card

The way to get the whole data from the datacard is pretty easy

1. Go to the Main Menu
  2. Select Setup
  3. Select Interface
  4. Select the USB Mass Storage button.

The datacard will mount on your Macintosh desktop, where you can copy the .gpx files to your computer.

Another option is to download GPS Babel. I think it's probably available for most platforms (I have PC and Mac versions). It can download straight from Garmin units (I do it this way with my 76CSx) and be set to only download waypoints, routes or tracks (or any combination).

It can also process GPX files into something a bit more text-editor friendly, rather than having one great long line (as my Colorado seems to insist on doing).

Not only that, it can also convert between different formats, such as Google Earth's KML and KMZ formats.

I haven't found the button that gets it to make a cup of tea yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one. :laughing:

Another option is to download GPS Babel. I think it's probably available for most platforms (I have PC and Mac versions). It can download straight from Garmin units (I do it this way with my 76CSx) and be set to only download waypoints, routes or tracks (or any combination).

It can also process GPX files into something a bit more text-editor friendly, rather than having one great long line (as my Colorado seems to insist on doing).

Not only that, it can also convert between different formats, such as Google Earth's KML and KMZ formats.

I haven't found the button that gets it to make a cup of tea yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one. :laughing:

Thanks for the ideas- I DO have bobcat downloaded onto my mac and will also try the GPS Babel-thanks also for the heads up on how to save to a dada card-something I didn't know.

It was mentioned that the tracks can be saved into Google earth (I have that also)- is that the only program that can read the map files and display them to print?

There is the .gpx & .kml & .kmz formats...right? Oh boy, a bit confusing. Wish Garmin would have a little better owners manual on how to use it in relation to mapping. Lot's to learn n my part...