Help with averaging

mfwills

Don't you just love incomplete manuals?

Averaging is a function of my Garmin Venture HC, but not one word is said about it in the manual.

I perceive it is a tool to provide a somewhat more accurate position reading, especially for placing a cache. Could someone give me a rundown on the process?

Thanks.

Matt

If it's like my 60CSx when you "Mark" a spot at the bottom of the screen you will see "Average", highlight that and hit the enter button and let it do the work.

El Diablo

Doesn't any average involve more than one factor? How am I giving it enough data to work with?

M

If it's like my 60CSx when you "Mark" a spot at the bottom of the screen you will see "Average", highlight that and hit the enter button and let it do the work.

El Diablo

Doesn't any average involve more than one factor? How am I giving it enough data to work with?

M

It involves a lot of factors. The unit will figure it out. Just place it on the spot and let it work. Trust me on this. I've averaged on my own, and I've let the unit do it. The unit wins hands down.

El Diablo

I have a Venture HC. Do it just as El Diablo described. When you hit average a box will appear at the bottom of the screen that says measurement count and a number will start counting up. As the count gets higher you will notice the coordinates start to change. When I placed my first cache a week ago I set my unit down by the cache and let it count up to 100 before saving the waypoint. I then moved about 1/4 mile away and then asked it to find the waypoint. It brought me to within 8 foot from the cache.

It involves a lot of factors. The unit will figure it out. Just place it on the spot and let it work. Trust me on this. I've averaged on my own, and I've let the unit do it. The unit wins hands down.

El Diablo

I have a Venture HC. Do it just as El Diablo described. When you hit average a box will appear at the bottom of the screen that says measurement count and a number will start counting up. As the count gets higher you will notice the coordinates start to change. When I placed my first cache a week ago I set my unit down by the cache and let it count up to 100 before saving the waypoint. I then moved about 1/4 mile away and then asked it to find the waypoint. It brought me to within 8 foot from the cache.

OK, Tadpole understands. Somehow, I had the notion that I had to manually enter several readings.

Thanks.

Matt