Downloading TOPO! Routes to Garmin Colorado 400t ?

I'm using National Geographic's State Topo software to plan routes and to generate paper maps. I want to download these routes to my Garmin Colorado 400t. (I don't want to use the Garmin MapSoirce software, since it has only the most rudimentary of maps, and if I don't know the coordinates, it's kind of useless.)

I have my Garmin hooked up to the USB port. The computer knows it's there - I can see it as the "E" drive, and I can download stuff from MapSource. But when I try to download my Topo! files, it says the USB connection doesn't work. BTW, in the Topo setup, I couldn't find the 400t, so I set it for "Garmin" / "Not in this list".

Any help would be most appreciated!

I'm using National Geographic's State Topo software to plan routes and to generate paper maps. I want to download these routes to my Garmin Colorado 400t. (I don't want to use the Garmin MapSoirce software, since it has only the most rudimentary of maps, and if I don't know the coordinates, it's kind of useless.)

I have my Garmin hooked up to the USB port. The computer knows it's there - I can see it as the "E" drive, and I can download stuff from MapSource. But when I try to download my Topo! files, it says the USB connection doesn't work. BTW, in the Topo setup, I couldn't find the 400t, so I set it for "Garmin" / "Not in this list".

Will NGTopo see MapSource? I don't think filtering tracks & route through MapSource will affect your

accuracy any, just using it as a conduit that's all. Just an armchair here, I'm sure someone w/ experience

will chime in, @least I'm hoping,!

Norm

Will NGTopo see MapSource? I don't think filtering tracks & route through MapSource will affect your

accuracy any, just using it as a conduit that's all. Just an armchair here, I'm sure someone w/ experience

will chime in, @least I'm hoping,!

Norm

Nope, that doesn't seem to work. Anybody else got some ideas ?

First, any Route you create will only work along roads in the Colorado, I've tried. Sounds like when you create a route in NG Topo you might want to use it as a Track in your Colorado? I assume you are planning hikes from what you've provided.

There's no easy way I've found yet but here's a solution. Create your route in NG Topo and when the TOPO! Route dialog box opens choose the GPS Route... tab. In the GPS Route Wizard box you can configure up to 250 route points plus different options on how to distribute points along your route. (A note; our Colorado will only allow 50 route points per route for autorouting along roads).

When done click on Handhelds/Export Wizard and export your route to a gpx file. But, this is now a Route, and you will need to convert it to a Track for what you hope to do. There are some free 3rd party programs to convert routes to tracks, maybe GPSBabel will even do it, not sure.

You can then simply copy the gpx file and drop it in your Colorado in the Garmin/GPX folder while connected to the PC. I just tried dropping in a Route gpx file I made in NG Topo and it shows up, but all you can do is view it as it needs roads to route to. My test is in the forest near me. My test also produced this route with no name showing in the Colorado. I had to open it first in MapSource and edit the route name, then it worked fine. Hope this helps somewhat.

First, any Route you create will only work along roads in the Colorado, I've tried. Sounds like when you create a route in NG Topo you might want to use it as a Track in your Colorado? I assume you are planning hikes from what you've provided.

There's no easy way I've found yet but here's a solution. Create your route in NG Topo and when the TOPO! Route dialog box opens choose the GPS Route... tab. In the GPS Route Wizard box you can configure up to 250 route points plus different options on how to distribute points along your route. (A note; our Colorado will only allow 50 route points per route for autorouting along roads).

When done click on Handhelds/Export Wizard and export your route to a gpx file. But, this is now a Route, and you will need to convert it to a Track for what you hope to do. There are some free 3rd party programs to convert routes to tracks, maybe GPSBabel will even do it, not sure.

You can then simply copy the gpx file and drop it in your Colorado in the Garmin/GPX folder while connected to the PC. I just tried dropping in a Route gpx file I made in NG Topo and it shows up, but all you can do is view it as it needs roads to route to. My test is in the forest near me. My test also produced this route with no name showing in the Colorado. I had to open it first in MapSource and edit the route name, then it worked fine. Hope this helps somewhat.

Boy that's starting to sound awful Magellanish :^(

Norm