Vector mapping and raster image display in Legend HCx

I have been uploading custom vector mapping successfully to my Legend HCx for some time now using an established procedure. I create a .mp file in GPSMapEdit, export it to a .img file through cGPSmapper, make my own style override .typ file with GenTYP and, finally, create and upload a gmapsupp.img file through Img2gps. I am very pleased with the results.

I was delighted to find recently the facility to upload a raster image, using Moagu.

I have now attempted to load both vector mapping and raster image of the same area using Img2gps.

In the first case, when I load the files in the order of vector data followed by raster image files in Img2gps, I discover that, although the raster image tile outlines are visible when I zoom out, the raster image itself does not display at the level of 500 feet that it is supposed to do. The vector mapping displays correctly with its style override.

In the second case, when I load the maps in the order of raster image followed by vector mapping files, the raster image displays with the vector mapping on top, but the vector mapping displays default styles, not the style override styles. In both cases I have used the .typ file associated with the vector mapping .img file. The use or not of the .typ file associated with the raster image makes no difference. The map detail is set to normal in my Legend.

I have fought shy of using MapSet Toolkit and MapSource because of the Registry involvement in the process, and would rather not go down that road.

I wonder whether anyone has any bright ideas to help me overcome this issue, or explain what is happening?

Private messageE-mail

Edited by dunmappin

I suspect the two different TYP files for the two different kinds of maps are "fighting it out", and whichever one wins determines which map gets displayed. Moagu maps use a custom TYP file, and if those types aren't defined, you'll get a blank area. If they are defined correctly, then they may be overriding the TYP definitions in the other file, though they shouldn't have to - the Moagu TYP definitions use hex specifications that are well outside the normally used point sets. If you send me a copy of your original text TYP file, I could probably figure it out (feedback at moagu.com)

You might give MapSet ToolKit a try in installing these maps into MapSource; there's a step-by-step in the latest help file. MapSet Toolkit makes it easy, it does all the complicated work, including the registry installation. Or, combine the .img and .TYP files into single files with SendMap, and then upload those using MapUpload instead of SendMap or img2gps.

I have been uploading custom vector mapping successfully to my Legend HCx for some time now using an established procedure. I create a .mp file in GPSMapEdit, export it to a .img file through cGPSmapper, make my own style override .typ file with GenTYP and, finally, create and upload a gmapsupp.img file through Img2gps. I am very pleased with the results.

I was delighted to find recently the facility to upload a raster image, using Moagu.

I have now attempted to load both vector mapping and raster image of the same area using Img2gps.

In the first case, when I load the files in the order of vector data followed by raster image files in Img2gps, I discover that, although the raster image tile outlines are visible when I zoom out, the raster image itself does not display at the level of 500 feet that it is supposed to do. The vector mapping displays correctly with its style override.

In the second case, when I load the maps in the order of raster image followed by vector mapping files, the raster image displays with the vector mapping on top, but the vector mapping displays default styles, not the style override styles. In both cases I have used the .typ file associated with the vector mapping .img file. The use or not of the .typ file associated with the raster image makes no difference. The map detail is set to normal in my Legend.

I have fought shy of using MapSet Toolkit and MapSource because of the Registry involvement in the process, and would rather not go down that road.

I wonder whether anyone has any bright ideas to help me overcome this issue, or explain what is happening?

Private messageE-mail