Just got Vista HcX, What Maps?

Hello,

I just got my first official GPS, the Vista HCX, and after playing with it for only a bit, it's so simple and fun to use!

Now I just want to get out there caching and I need more than these base maps!!

Are there any recommendations for someone living in NYC? It will be used primarily for caching both in and out of the city. Looking to get something that includes information for the North East rather than just New York City. Both Road and Topo info would be great.

I'm on the same boat. I have had my vista hcx for about 4 months and I am still researching what maps to buy. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't so expensive. I have read that city navigator is great, but stay away from the NT version because of lag issues. I think I am going to pick up the City Navigator dvd when the 2009 version comes out and I also like the looks of The National Parks East 24k maps. It has the whole appalachian trail and other parks on it. Take a look at them at garmin's web site.

Hello,

I just got my first official GPS, the Vista HCX, and after playing with it for only a bit, it's so simple and fun to use!

Are there any recommendations for someone living in NYC? It will be used primarily for caching both in and out of the city. Looking to get something that includes information for the North East rather than just New York City. Both Road and Topo info would be great.

I recently purchased a VistaHCX to start geocaching and I like it very much. However, I was looking at adding the street maps to Auto route me to the cache. The maps ran around $ 80 on Amazon.com.

Just a suggestion, for about $ 80.00 more, you can get Garmin Nuvi 200 with street maps already loaded from Amazon. While you will have two devices, the nuvi200 will have a much larger screen and be much better for street navigation.

THE BEST PART HOWEVER, is that the Nuvi can be used to download ALL the cache information to the unit, ie description, hints, logs,etc. using GSAK and geocaching.com.

Check out this link for how it is done. I have done this and it works great!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

Just a thought

Hello,

I recently purchased a VistaHCX to start geocaching and I like it very much. However, I was looking at adding the street maps to Auto route me to the cache. The maps ran around $ 80 on Amazon.com.

Just a suggestion, for about $ 80.00 more, you can get Garmin Nuvi 200 with street maps already loaded from Amazon. While you will have two devices, the nuvi200 will have a much larger screen and be much better for street navigation.

THE BEST PART HOWEVER, is that the Nuvi can be used to download ALL the cache information to the unit, ie description, hints, logs,etc. using GSAK and geocaching.com.

Check out this link for how it is done. I have done this and it works great!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

Just a thought

Yeah, the maps are definitely more what I'm interested in just to get away from just having base maps to work with.

I have my Treo 700wx with google maps to guide me if I need driving directions and to get around the city. Also it shows me complete cache pages with the ability to post the find if I wanted to. So paperless caching is pretty well covered without having two GPS devices.

I'm just looking at something like the 2008 TOPO maps that Garmin has, looking at the price, and wondering if that's something that is really worth it. The screen shots aren't too impressive, but this is my first GPS so I have nothing to compare it to.

Any map suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!