Best GPS for $100-$150

Just getting started and looking for something relatively inexpensive. Ideas within this price range? I've done a little bit of looking online, but everything seems to have a gazillion different models/types. Not super sure what will be the most beneficial. I'd like something I can hang onto for a while without having to replace it after just a year or two. Just not ready to bite the bullet and spend super big bucks! :blink:

Edited by cleverquest

Just getting started and looking for something relatively inexpensive. Ideas within this price range? I've done a little bit of looking online, but everything seems to have a gazillion different models/types. Not super sure what will be the most beneficial. I'd like something I can hang onto for a while without having to replace it after just a year or two. Just not ready to bite the bullet and spend super big bucks! :blink:

In your price range for the Garmin's your looking at the etrex series. To help with the model stuff for Garmins here are a few things to look for. Like the above poster mentioned the Legend HCx, good unit, here are what the letters mean after the Legend:

H- High sensitivity (gets good reception under heavy tree cover and canyons, also acquires signal faster) Definetely recommend getting one of these if you don't want to upgrade too soon.

C - Color screen (as opposed to monochrome) You definetely want that.

x - expandable memory (has a spot to put a micro sd memory card in it) again if you don't want to replace to soon this is another good idea. The memory is important to put Street maps and topo maps on the unit.

So if you can swing the extra $ for the legend HCx that's a good unit you could keep for a couple of years. Any less money than that and your going to have to choose between expandable memory or High Sesitivity reciever. Summit HC or Legend Cx. I always recommend either borrowing a unit from a friend or buying a cheaper used unit and using it for awhile. Then you can get a feel for what you like or need from a unit. Then you can sell the used one and not lose too much money. Or even make money if you find one cheap enough.

Just to confuse matters you could also look at Magellan units. I have a explorist 500 which you can find on ebay from $100-$125. They work well, but magellan tech support is less than helpful sometimes. So if your just learning you may want to stay away from.

Edited by sanramonhunter

If you just want a basic GPS for geocaching, I recommend the eTrex Venture HC. I just bought one and it is great. Reception with the high sensitivity antenna is excellent, even in tree cover. My previous GPS had expandable memory, but I never used it. So I didn't make it a priority this time. I bought the Venture HC from Amazon.com for $140.

For that price range I would get a Venture HC - high sensitivity receiver w/ 24mb built-in memory. They run about $130US online.

The map data for the 4 local counties in my area takes up less than 2mb and I think my whole state is less than 20mb. If you tend to use the gps in one general area most of the time, 24mb may be plenty. If you travel alot you would just have to swap maps in and out, but it only takes a few seconds to transfer maps w/ MapSource.

For about $180US, you can get a Legend HCx with an SD card slot.

Just getting started and looking for something relatively inexpensive. Ideas within this price range? I've done a little bit of looking online, but everything seems to have a gazillion different models/types. Not super sure what will be the most beneficial. I'd like something I can hang onto for a while without having to replace it after just a year or two. Just not ready to bite the bullet and spend super big bucks! :D

I got a Venture HC recently for $118 at Navguys.com and then downloaded the free maps available above. So...I'm up and running at a newbie price of just over $100. If it's something that the family loves we can revisit the technology in a few years. But $100 was much easier to swallow starting out than $250 or $300.