Can't Connect CacheMate to Garmin Mobile 10x

jcapzz

I downloaded CacheMate software for use on my Windows Mobile 5 PPC-6700 with a Garmin Mobile 10x Bluetooth GPS receiver. I have not been able to find any definative instructions on the Smittyware.com website on how to connect to the receiver from CacheMate. I have attempted via NMEA Serial and MS Bluetooth but when I hit the query button I get a message that says "Waiting for GPS fix..." Restart, Accept or Cancel.

The GPS receiver works fine in the Garmin Mobile XT software and in that program a lock on satelites.

Has anyone used this combination sucessfully? If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

Jeff

I successfully got the following settings to work last night:

Under Preferences -> NMEA MS Bluetooth, I locaed my GPS (Garmin GPS 10x #8BA2B).

Under Preferences -> GPS Location Query, I selected WM5 GPS Driver

Then I press the GPS Location (bullseye) button and the dialog pos up that says "Waiting for GPS Data..." which changes quiclky to "Waiting for GPS fix..." Which stays indefinitely with the following 3 buttons: Restart, Accept, Cancel.

Last night I pressed accept then opened a cache record and pressed the Navigation button, the compass came up with the needle pointing in the direction of the cache and distance, elevation etc. I was very excited. This morning it worked again but this afternoon, going into the navigation pafe, I see an empty compass and in the lower left corner, it says "No GPS".

B) I think I figured it out. It seems that if I use the Garmin Mobile XT software, it must be closed (or at least disable the GPS connection) then power to the GPS must be cycled before the CacheMate will connect.

The CacheMate settings that seem to work for me are:

Preferences -> NMEA MS Bluetooth; Select the GPS

Preferences -> GPS Location Query; WM% GPS Driver

Hope this helps others.

Happy Caching,

Jeff

You could have also used the iQue GPS interface, which goes through Mobile XT to do what it needs to do. With that, you'll also be able to put a point on a map in that software and (presumably) route to it.

I wanted to use Cachmate and had nothing but problems trying to figure out how to ge the software to work the software and then received a bunch of attitude from the "support" person! I refuse to use it after what I went through. Has anyone else had a bad experience with that Smittyware site? If someone can tell me a similar program that I can purchase or use, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I wanted to use Cachmate and had nothing but problems trying to figure out how to ge the software to work the software and then received a bunch of attitude from the "support" person! I refuse to use it after what I went through. Has anyone else had a bad experience with that Smittyware site? If someone can tell me a similar program that I can purchase or use, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Granted, the explanation of the Smittyware ID and where to get it only implied (and didn't explicitly state) that you had to actually install the software to get it. Relatively few didn't understand that, and over time the explanation evolved in an attempt to correct what confused them. More often, they didn't read the explanation in the first place and entered something else. Only one person, however, has ever completely blown up while an attempt was made to determine which one it was in their case due to what was somehow perceived as "attitude".

Edited by Maeglin